Mock up suggestions......

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Hephaestus

Lol, around here it's someone needs to wear the white hardhat ;) that's a mandatory requirement for any project.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
IF you go with wood, does it have to be round stock? Seems like you could make it out of square stock for the desired purpose (mock up) and the square will be easier to joint up.

vhhjr

HBA Supporter
Early in the Facetmobile program a reduced scale airframe was built from PVC pipe. The fishmouthing on the tubes was done on a CNC router table that had a rotary axis added. One could also do fishmouthing with a spindle sander that can be bought fairly reasonably or one can make one using a drill press and a sandpaper wrapped dowel. The corners on this mockup were held together with riveted gusset plates. One could also glue them with pvc cement, but you have to hold the joint together with duct tape while the glue dries.

Attachments

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
bmcj.....I would rather stick with "round" no matter which way I go....wood or metal.
If I can find the exact size material ,for the mock up, that I will be using in 4130 tubing when I build the real airframe...then there should be no guess work at all when it comes to the expensive material.
Every brace,bracket,engine mount,,bolt hole,bolt,etc...will have been worked out on the mock up using the same hardware that is now going on the 4130 airframe.

Kevin

pictsidhe

If you want exact size material, PVC is probably out. The plumbing stuff comes in only certain sizes. Perhaps an industrial supplier has others.
I'd be looking into making my own dowels as it would do away with sourcing particular sizes in the quality you want.

pictsidhe

Early in the Facetmobile program a reduced scale airframe was built from PVC pipe. The fishmouthing on the tubes was done on a CNC router table that had a rotary axis added. One could also do fishmouthing with a spindle sander that can be bought fairly reasonably or one can make one using a drill press and a sandpaper wrapped dowel. The corners on this mockup were held together with riveted gusset plates. One could also glue them with pvc cement, but you have to hold the joint together with duct tape while the glue dries.
Somebody warn Fritz about these images. I fear that they could trigger his CMD.

Lendo

Mad-P 81,
Doesn't matter what your designing or building you will get a lot of assistance on HBA, some VERY talented people on here. Sometimes intent is lost where suggestions may be misinterpreted as criticisms.You may have to grow a thick skin and no one here can see a RED face :).
George

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Hot Wings.....you know,I had actually considered that option but steered clear of it for a few reasons,even though you are correct about the sizes being just about ideal.
1. Cost
2. The difficulty to actually drill it for bolts and such....I want to actually attach everything that will be bolted to the real airframe.
3. The difficulty to attach one tube to another like it is welded...I've heard of people having good luck gluing the tubes together but I'm not one of those guys.
I also want to sit in the mocked up airframe and try it on for size.
4. Cost

Kevin

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Lendo.....I absolutely agree that some very talented individuals frequent this forum.
And I do have an extremely thick skin....but I tend to walk away when the discussion turns from figuring out a resolution to a few design issues to stuffing a v8 into the fuselage while driving 2 separate props through independent gearboxes,or stuffing a huge diesel engine into the fuselage while driving 2 separate electric motors in a ducted fan setup,and my favorite....it has to have a functioning gatling gun in the nose to mimick the original for cg purposes or it wont fly right and you're gonna kill yourself.
While these delusions ARE QUITE HUMOROUS,I dont have time to waste feeding into someone's Walter Mitty day dreams.
I have 2 designs drawn out that I would be more than happy to give the plans away for free if I could figure out the few issues....

Kevin

Lendo

pictsidhe,
You snatched the words right out of my mouth, 15 years and I'm still trying to find accuracy.
George

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Lol.....probably no more talented than anyone else on this forum,however,I'm very persistant and I do a lot of research.
But there are times that I just can't seem to find a viable answer to an issue with the information that I'm able to gather.

So,at this point.....both designs have a few issues that I'm still trying to gather information to resolve.

Kevin