• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBuiltAirplanes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Airplane For Sale Mitchell wing

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Nice looking A-10 !

Your best places to advertise it are this forum, and Barnstormers.com .

For whatever it's worth, I would really try to put in the time to find the right quality buyer. There are not enough Mitchell Wings in flyable condition, it's a very historical design (by one of the early leaders in the history of ultralights), yours looks very clean, and I just wouldn't want to see it go into the hands of someone who doesn't appreciate what it represents. That airplane should be front and center at a lot of fly-ins and airshows.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
$10K may eventually find a buyer, but you may have to wait for the right buyer. $5000 will find a lot more potential buyers, but you will get a lot of lookie-lous and many of them will not know how to deal with this aircraft, or they may just be crashes waiting to happen.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Also make sure you have your aircraft's weight and balance form. The Mitchell Wing has an interesting reputation because some folks did not understand it.

challenger_II

Engine type, time, and condition. Any corrosion? Any dents, dings delamination of metal skin and foam underneath? Is the airframe complete? Are there any flight documents? And, location! Location! Location!

Is the trailer road-worthy?

rivilee

HBA Supporter
Barnstormers and here as mentioned. You may also get some interest on the Mitchell Wing Facebook group. Also Ebay.
I own two B10s. One I'm finishing and the other is a rebuild.
In the past several years I have never seen an A10 go for $10k. $1k will get it sold, $2k may take a while and if you polish it up, take excellent pictures and use excellent narrative you may get it sold eventually for $5k. To get it sold for that much you'll probably need to convince the buyer that the drivetrain is the definition of safety and reliability.
Even though I'm late checking in here I regularly search for Mitchell Wings for sale for what that's worth....
There is a guy in Indiana that owns the rights to the A10 and T10. His website hasn't changed in a while; he's not very active from what I can tell. Might want to check with him however.
After you talk to Jay I would also like to talk. I'll keep an eye on my messages.

Oh, as has been mentioned about condition/location I'll emphasize checking the metal skin for delamination from the foam. That seems to be an issue over the years.

scarybear

Engine type, time, and condition. Any corrosion? Any dents, dings delamination of metal skin and foam underneath? Is the airframe complete? Are there any flight documents? And, location! Location! Location!

Is the trailer road-worthy?
trailer will need new tires

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Congratulations Jay ! I got to meet Don Mitchell many years ago in Tehachapi in his later years. I never really appreciated his contributions to the sport of soaring, and bringing aerodynamically controlled gliders to the foot launch community.

Jsample40

Congratulations Jay ! I got to meet Don Mitchell many years ago in Tehachapi in his later years. I never really appreciated his contributions to the sport of soaring, and bringing aerodynamically controlled gliders to the foot launch community.
Thanks VB! I never had the opportunity to meet DM personally, but became friends with Steve Pattmont, chief test pilot at Mitchell Wing, Porterville, CA in the early 1980's.
He and I did the demo MW "Fly By" at Osh Kosh in 1982... and I worked with him in further development of the tricycle undercarriage for the MW.
Have you possibly heard anything about him in recent years? I no longer have any contact info, but would like to recontact as he would be tickled to hear my recent acquisition of his A-10 MW design.
How is your Ridge Runner II project coming? I am flying mine regularly nowadays.. had to employ a Rotax 503 dual carb engine setup to have the reserve power needed for my weight, etc. here in the mountains of WNC. It flies beautifully, and predictably with the VG's and drooped wing tips installed.