Mitchell Wing

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tom Emery

About a year ago I was about to head out the door to buy a Hummer but I did some research that said the original model weight limit was pretty low. Might want to check on that if you're not a skinny guy.
Hello Rivilee,
I talked with Vern(owner, instructor) about that. He said the guy who sold him his Hummer was 225lbs. At the time Vern weighed 135 (23 year old skinny guy). He actually had to move the engine back and add some weight to the nose. I weigh 180 so I should be okay. I plan on taking it to him to get it dialed in. He still has a Hummer and was enthusiastic about helping out. Meanwhile...still persuing the Mitchell wing.
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

At the cost of seemeng a non-progressist (which I am certainly not) I suggest for you to have a look at Marc Motor "engine for emotion" : Ros125 mono cylinder details
I have this motor and it works like a dream. It is quite quiet, low in vibrations and it develops the declared power without any doubts .The maximum thrust is given by a three blade 48" propeller. I am using it a microlight single seater tryke with a two blade 31" propeller. It is really great and feather-weight. Consumption at cruise is 2.5 lt/h.
Hello Sigrana,
That is one sweet engine. I cant believe it so light. Would you happen to have the price handy. It might make a great replacement for the Zenoah, if needed.
Thanks,
Tom Emery

Bille Floyd

At the cost of seemeng a non-progressist (which I am certainly not) I suggest for you to have a look at Marc Motor "engine for emotion" : Ros125 mono cylinder details
I have this motor and it works like a dream. It is quite quiet, low in vibrations and it develops the declared power without any doubts .The maximum thrust is given by a three blade 48" propeller. I am using it a microlight single seater tryke with a two blade 31" propeller. It is really great and feather-weight. Consumption at cruise is 2.5 lt/h.
Do you have a price for this engine , with reduction ?

Bille

Tom Emery

A few reasons :

A) Convince being an important one ; i'm tired of assembling my
Exxtacy , every time i want to fly . Places like Torrey Pines
and Jean ridge , that utilize ridge-lift, with a decent top landing
are ok ; but i much rather fly thermal.

B) I believe the launch off a mountain , is one of the most dangerous
parts of flying my Hang glider ; you can't see a few hundred feet down
the slope, to see if your about to get nailed by a juicy thermal . When
i'm in the air, in close quarters to earth ; i get a good view of the aria
and got enough experience to anticipate a fair amount of lift, that's
headed my way.

C) Driving up a mountain , to launch , it is fun ; but motoring
up it could be way less time consuming. I also have the option
to leave the engine home, and do the normal foot-launch thing.

The engine with folding prop is my answer --- build a nice hanger
at the base of a mountain , with a fully assembled motor-glider
inside, and i can roll out and fly, most any time i determine it's worth it !!

I have two airports in mind :
One in Pahrump Nv , that has 35 miles of good vertical mountain
range to fly , and the other in Moore Idaho, that has near 60 miles
of range to fly. I hope to fly Idaho in the summer, and get a
bunch of calmer winter flights in southern Nevada. Both spots
have kite boarding within a few hour drive.

Bille
Hello Billie,
Let me know if and when you are ready to build that hanger. I think it's a great idea. I'll give you a hand. I have done a lot of construction work, so throwing up a hangar shouldn't be a big deal.
The best rise to the top,
Tom Emery

sigrana

From many years I have been using electric power on my big models (up to 3 meters in wingspan). It is fine if you are flying for a short timelapse, but I would never trust electric for real aircraft flights lasting longer than 15 minutes. Far to dangerous. Incidentally, the Marcmotor series run on 40 : 1 sinthetic oil mixture and there is not any visible smoke, no smell etc.

Bille Floyd

Hello Billie,
Let me know if and when you are ready to build that hanger. I think it's a great idea. I'll give you a hand. I have done a lot of construction work, so throwing up a hangar shouldn't be a big deal.
The best rise to the top,
Tom Emery
If a few dolly's are used, to pull the Exxtacy glider in side-ways ; then a
40-ft wide door isn't needed , (8-ft wide would do it) 10 if it had a tail like
the Atos.

Make the hanger tall enough, to hold a few gliders stacked up with
rope ; but ready to fly, with some juggling around.

You help me ; then you got a place to fly when ya come
over ; just bring Beer, and dead Cow !!

Bille

Last edited:

sigrana

Tom Emery

If a few dolly's are used, to pull the Exxtacy glider in side-ways ; then a
40-ft wide door isn't needed , (8-ft wide would do it) 10 if it had a tail like
the Atos.

Make the hanger tall enough, to hold a few gliders stacked up with
rope ; but ready to fly, with some juggling around.

You help me ; then you got a place to fly when ya come
over ; just bring Beer, and dead Cow !!

Bille
Hello Billie,
That sounds good. I do not know what your time schedule is like, but I will be back in So Cal about mid June. I have a chance to take "Hummer" flying lessons from "Vern". I got a great deal on a used Hummer from a guy up in Minnesota and plan on picking it up at the end of the month. Since Vern has been flying these things for decades and is an instructor, I got in touch with him thanks to an old video he was in that "Dan" produced. You know that guy, Dan , who does all the ultrlight interviews on You Tube? I got Vern's email address off the video, dropped him a line and had a great conversation with him. He is the "Spirit of American Flight". His enthusiasm is palpable. Who better to train with than a 60 something year old instructor who bought a Hummer at the ripe old age of 23. Having over 6000 hours of flight time on various craft doesn't hurt either. Funny thing, he keeps his Hummer suspended from the rafters in his hanger. Good idea.
I am hoping to have a Mitchell wing by the end of summer. Jim, who runs the "Mitchellwing.com" website, has been keeping me updated on his attempts to find one. I have had a couple of other leads from opening up this conversation here on "Homebuiltairplanes.com" so for that, a great big THANK YOU to the web master of this site.
Keep this number. Call me when you get it going. 619-253-2474.
Best of all worlds, water, land and sky,
Tom Emery

simflyer

Hi, I am from France and I am just beginning to built a MWB10. I have plans of more a decade .....
Hi Claude, do You know more Mitchell B10 builders/pilots in Europe? I found few in Belgium, Germany (incl.U2) and Czech. Am thinking, that taking of U2 wing and using it on trike (as B10), it could fly better. Interresting are also MW Victory and Stealth.

Last edited:

claude.bouzerand

Hi Claude, do You know more Mitchell B10 builders/pilots in Europe? I found few in Belgium, Germany (incl.U2) and Czech. Am thinking, that taking of U2 wing and using it on trike (as B10), it could fly better. Interresting are also MW Victory and Stealth.
Hello Simflyer,
I really don't know any pilot in Europe ,excepted the ones you quoted,and only on the web.... I had shared some messages with Johan Prins but I never meet him,even if he is living rather near me....It is pity,maybe when I'll be on retirement...Yes ,I agree with you that the U2 has some more better flight's performances ,but I think the B10 is still close of free flight, my former "air contact". It is pity that plans of Stealth and Victory aren't available ,there are true evolution of Don Mitchell 's genius !. Thank you for this post
Regards
Claude B.

simflyer

Hello Simflyer,
I really don't know any pilot in Europe, excepted the ones you quoted,and only on the web.... I had shared some messages with Johan Prins but I never meet him,even if he is living rather near me....It is pity,maybe when I'll be on retirement...Yes ,I agree with you that the U2 has some more better flight's performances ,but I think the B10 is still close of free flight, my former "air contact". It is pity that plans of Stealth and Victory aren't available ,there are true evolution of Don Mitchell 's genius !. Thank you for this post
Regards
Claude B.
Claude,
I think that Victory and maybe also Stealth stil exist and on Yahoo forums could be found contacts.
Here in Czech was B10 wing spar recalculated to meet our strenght limits and also 2seater was built.
Drawings could be found by people around. I had contacts cca on 5 MW here and maybe one is for cheap sale.
U2 wing could be adapted to use on trike, as B10 is.
Maybe is real to organize some flywings fly in - probably in Germany.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
I think that Victory and maybe also Stealth stil exist and on Yahoo forums could be found contacts.
The Yahoo group is no longer. I transferred all of the files to Groups.IO before Yahoo deleted them so they still exist. Not much activity there either. :(

As for adding a cage to the U-2 for better performance? Don't.
Those that have flown both can confirm that the B-10 actually performs better. Modifying a laminar Wortmann airfoil for the fabric covered U-2, with canted ribs, wasn't the best idea Don ever had. Adding drag to a U-2 would only make it worse.

simflyer

The Yahoo group is no longer. I transferred all of the files to Groups.IO before Yahoo deleted them so they still exist. Not much activity there either. :(

As for adding a cage to the U-2 for better performance? Don't.
Those that have flown both can confirm that the B-10 actually performs better. Modifying a laminar Wortmann airfoil for the fabric covered U-2, with canted ribs, wasn't the best idea Don ever had. Adding drag to a U-2 would only make it worse.
About Yahoo groups forums - it seem all exists, but even I am member, couldn't see discussion.
It wasn't meant as U2 wing on cage for better performance than U2. I mean use U2 wing planform, dihedral, improve airfoil and use it with cage. I identified U2 airfoil for group years ago :) I don't think 23015 is best choice for B10.
I have some B10 plans and like to have copy of U2 plans for studying.

simflyer

+1 or 2 in Poland...(one wooden I was seeing in fly at Turbia Miting)
Henryk, I know - one was bought in Czech and flew to Poland. I know also about one for sale, but need recover wing.

Tom Emery

Hello to everyone,
It looks like I might be closing in on a Mitchell wing. I talked to a gentleman this afternoon who owns an A10. He wants to sell it. I am going to look at it this weekend. Coincidentally, a B10 Mitchell wing was just listed on Barnstormers today for $3,000.00, ready to fly. The A10 I am persuing has a non op engine. This doesn't worry me. I have rebuilt a few engines, including the Triumph GT6 engine sitting in my shop room right now.
This is a great website. I developed the lead from this site.
Cant wait to see it.
Tom Emery