Mitchell Wing

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Bille Floyd

If I cant find the Mitchell I want,(A10) for the right price,i I will definitely put together a trike. I will hopefully do both.
Time and money...
Tom Emery
I looked at the supine Doodle bug design , an a compromise
for a Trike , (Way lighter) ; maybe a set of large wheels on
the control-bar would be sufficient for wheeled ground take-off ?
But how to turn it on the ground now ?
I don't wanna , foot launch a motor glider !

Bille

Attachments

Aviacs

One of the metal wing factory ships was available for years in north central PA.
I looked at it maybe 10? years ago. But he wanted more than i wanted to spend on one (aprox $3600 IIRC) at the time since i was flying a C140 then.
It had some minor damage, can't recall what it was. Hangar rash, etc.
Within the past year, another pilot sent me an email "Hey are you interested in one of these...." Same one. Should i see if it is still out there?

smt

Bille Floyd

NO, henryk !

I said : "I don't wanna , foot launch a motor glider" !

As in , I ((DO NOT)) want to , foot launch a motor glide

Is it clear now ?

Bille

Tom Emery

One of the metal wing factory ships was available for years in north central PA.
I looked at it maybe 10? years ago. But he wanted more than i wanted to spend on one (aprox $3600 IIRC) at the time since i was flying a C140 then.
It had some minor damage, can't recall what it was. Hangar rash, etc.
Within the past year, another pilot sent me an email "Hey are you interested in one of these...." Same one. Should i see if it is still out there?

smt
Hello Aviacs,
Thank you very much for the referral. Yes , I would love to have an opportunity to check this wing out. I will be standing by. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. My dog (german shepherd) just got diagnosed with hip dysplasia and my mind is focused on him. He's my buddy.
Thanks again.
Tom Emery
619-253-2474

Victor Bravo

Get him a new hip, or a new ACL, or whatever the correct mechanical repair is that allows him to live a normal life of walking, running, etc. It 's worth it. Unless the dog is so old that surgery is not going to improve the quality of life, IMHO do what is right for the quality of life and **ck the cost. Do without the glider.

Sorry, not technically my business, but they're better than people in general.

Tom Emery

Get him a new hip, or a new ACL, or whatever the correct mechanical repair is that allows him to live a normal life of walking, running, etc. It 's worth it. Unless the dog is so old that surgery is not going to improve the quality of life, IMHO do what is right for the quality of life and **ck the cost. Do without the glider.

Sorry, not technically my business, but they're better than people in general.
Hello Victor Bravo,
My vet indicated that we wait a couple of weeks to see if it calms down. He actually has a bone spur that has broken off. Vet says the chip will migrate to the side thus becoming much less of a pain issue.
I am doing some research on the replacement side of the equation. It's not cheap, but he's only 5 years old so I am looking into it.
Right now he is on anti inflammatory and pain killing drugs. He is alot happier than last week.
Thanks for your concern. I can take the food right out of his mouth with no fear of being bit. I don't know if I could say the same for most humans.
Jake ( my dog) says .. woof, woof...thankyou
Tom Emery

Bille Floyd

But how bout if we get you some cool upgraded bionic legs? Then you could leap over tall buildings in a single bound? ;):fear::cool:
I had one of my legs try to escape , at the end of the launch, at
Crestline , one day , (OK -- wheel landing) i'll live ; but that is the
day when i started thinking about an engine , with the folding prop
to launch and land, instead of depending on feet that want to ----
run away ! LOL

I tie my legs on now ; do that for kite boarding also , because i had to
get a girl friend to dive after it, on the bottom of lake Mohave , one day.

Bille
Lake Mohave  -- Meli.jpg

Victor Bravo

BF what was the reason you did not pursue the same path that Mike Sandlin and Floyd Fronius did with their "rolling launch" gliders like the GOAT? Unless I'm missing something, the rolling launch and rolling landing would resolve the issue of not wanting to foot launch/foot land, while still being in the hang gliding world.

Self-launch is fantastic and solves another problem very well, but the problem you mentioned (not wanting to have to run) is solved very well by the GOAT roll launch. I'll bet that if you built a GOAT and went to ANY established HG club site, they would build a launch ramp (like the one at Kagel and other places) that would allow you to use the roll launch.

I'm writing the press release and news story in my head already... "Not Your Average Wheelchair Ramp... local hang gliding club volunteers to build special launch ramp for legless veteran who wants to keep flying high... mayor and city council visit remote mountaintop for first flight ..." That's the kind of thing press agents and reporters dream about :)

henryk

Wheelchair Ramp...

Bille Floyd

BF what was the reason you did not pursue the same path that Mike Sandlin and Floyd Fronius did with their "rolling launch" gliders like the GOAT? Unless I'm missing something, the rolling launch and rolling landing would resolve the issue of not wanting to foot launch/foot land, while still being in the hang gliding world.
A few reasons :

A) Convince being an important one ; i'm tired of assembling my
Exxtacy , every time i want to fly . Places like Torrey Pines
and Jean ridge , that utilize ridge-lift, with a decent top landing
are ok ; but i much rather fly thermal.

B) I believe the launch off a mountain , is one of the most dangerous
parts of flying my Hang glider ; you can't see a few hundred feet down
the slope, to see if your about to get nailed by a juicy thermal . When
i'm in the air, in close quarters to earth ; i get a good view of the aria
and got enough experience to anticipate a fair amount of lift, that's
headed my way.

C) Driving up a mountain , to launch , it is fun ; but motoring
up it could be way less time consuming. I also have the option
to leave the engine home, and do the normal foot-launch thing.

The engine with folding prop is my answer --- build a nice hanger
at the base of a mountain , with a fully assembled motor-glider
inside, and i can roll out and fly, most any time i determine it's worth it !!

I have two airports in mind :
One in Pahrump Nv , that has 35 miles of good vertical mountain
range to fly , and the other in Moore Idaho, that has near 60 miles
of range to fly. I hope to fly Idaho in the summer, and get a
bunch of calmer winter flights in southern Nevada. Both spots
have kite boarding within a few hour drive.

Bille

Aviacs

Hello Aviacs,
Thank you very much for the referral. Yes , I would love to have an opportunity to check this wing out. I will be standing by. Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. My dog (german shepherd) just got diagnosed with hip dysplasia and my mind is focused on him. He's my buddy.
Thanks again.
Tom Emery
619-253-2474
None or sporadic cell signal here, land line does not call long distance.
email works well for me.
e h m c o f a b at g male dot com

smt

Tom Emery

None or sporadic cell signal here, land line does not call long distance.
email works well for me.
e h m c o f a b at g male dot com

smt
Hello Aviacs,
Ok great. I will try the email.
Tom Emery

Hello Claude,
I have been to Paris. Spent two out of three days at the Louvre. Could not get over the sculptures. Mesmerizing.
I'll keep you in mind if I ever return. Thanks for the invite.
Please let me know what you use for a motor. I might have to buy a non motorized one (hang glider) and will consider going electric. There seems to be a lot of new designs using electrics as a propulsion system.
Is your wing equipped with a pod and engine mount, or are you using a bare wing and adding the rest? I don't know how hard it is to post pictures here, but I would love to see some, or if you would, you can send them to my email address: Emerysandiego@gmail.com.
Keep "up" the good work.
Best to you,
Tom Emery
Hello Tom, I am just beginning some researches for electric motor ...The EXOMO company is not far from my home and has a consistent sale team. here is a link EXOMO electrifies recreational aviation with electric paramotor | E-Hike .
I haven't made any choise, yet. Their products seems ok ,many paramotor and single seat light trike's constructors use these products in Europe. I will try to find little cheaper motorization My goal is just climbing about 1500' up ,2 times or so with one charge,and find thbermals... So long crusing ability is really no necessary, Ithing, the B10 has good soaring abilities...it seems!
Claude Bouzerand

Tom Emery

Hello Tom, I am just beginning some researches for electric motor ...The EXOMO company is not far from my home and has a consistent sale team. here is a link EXOMO electrifies recreational aviation with electric paramotor | E-Hike .
I haven't made any choise, yet. Their products seems ok ,many paramotor and single seat light trike's constructors use these products in Europe. I will try to find little cheaper motorization My goal is just climbing about 1500' up ,2 times or so with one charge,and find thbermals... So long crusing ability is really no necessary, Ithing, the B10 has good soaring abilities...it seems!
Claude Bouzerand
Hello Claud,
I haven't done much research on electric motors. Last time I checked they seemed pretty pricey. The upside is that they cost a lot less to operate so maybe it balances out in the long run.
I am still looking for a Mitchell wing. I have a lead. I will let you know how it goes. Jim ( he's the guy who runs Mitchellwing.com) has been in touch and has a few kicking around. Not sure exactly what he wants to do with them. In the meantime I have found a "Hummer" ultralight. It is wonderfully inexpensive. I am arranging to buy it. Stall speed 23mph, cruise at 32mph. Has a "V"tail. The stick controls everything. No ailerons. No rudder pedals. It is so unique (and cheap) that I can afford it and get a Mitchell wing.
Good luck on your search for that perfect motor.
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Claude Bouzerand
Hello Claud,
That's a great plan. Climb up to altitude, go soaring. It seems to be a trend with all the new gliders packing "fold away" motors.
Looks like electric is here to stay. Let me know what you come up with. I may want to try it on my Exxtacy .
I am buying a "Hummer" ultralight. It is the simplest ultralight ever built. The guy is pretty much giving it away. Yes, it will need some TLC, but that is nothing new. I talked to an experienced Hummer pilot, Vern, down in Florida who is willing to teach me to fly it. He is an instructor with 6,000 hours and loves the Hummer.
I'm also vectoring in on a Mitchell wing. It is very preliminary right now, but I have a lot of optimism. I haven't seen it, but it is the A10 model. That is the one I would like to have.
Who knows? Things change, but no matter, you have to keep pushing on.
Looks like there are four airports in San Diego County (where I live) that are ultralight friendly. One of them is exclusively for ultralights. There is another GA airport only 15 miles from where I live that also accepts ultralights.
Stay in "the pattern" buddy.
Tom Emery

rivilee

HBA Supporter
About a year ago I was about to head out the door to buy a Hummer but I did some research that said the original model weight limit was pretty low. Might want to check on that if you're not a skinny guy.

sigrana

At the cost of seemeng a non-progressist (which I am certainly not) I suggest for you to have a look at Marc Motor "engine for emotion" : Ros125 mono cylinder details
I have this motor and it works like a dream. It is quite quiet, low in vibrations and it develops the declared power without any doubts .The maximum thrust is given by a three blade 48" propeller. I am using it a microlight single seater tryke with a two blade 31" propeller. It is really great and feather-weight. Consumption at cruise is 2.5 lt/h.

Hi Sigrana , I agree with you about this motor and many other...As I was Paramotor instructor (paragliding, hang gliding ,Trike...) I am convinced that these motorisations are not dead ! The real and not new problem of electric power is the cost . And the experience of an ancient student of mine, who rented electric cars for 5 years confirm it: He lost money, and have problems with the batteries ! So he stoped his job,even he was on one of the best beaches of France...Coming back to gas motors, when I got numbers from electricity and gas, I am sure the MWB10 will soar better with gas !:D less load....in any configurations.But I like the electric challenge for its natural approach ,giving to our activity a better appreciation from people ,Noise ,fumes ,smoke....