Mitchell Wing

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

claude.bouzerand

Hi, I am from France and I am just beginning to built a MWB10. I have plans of more a decade...I would like to add a "little" electric engine,just for autonomous taking off and climbing up to +-1000 feet. It means about 1/4 of an hour, but a battery for half an hour long flight is weighing more than 60 pounds...I thing that I will turn back to paramotor's engine with 1 galon gas I could have 1 hour ....and the more important much less load. I like a lot soaring,I had been hang gliding; paragliding and ultralight instructor for 25 years. It is just my tiny contribution to this very interesting topic.
Blue sky
C.Bouzerand

Jsample40

Good Morning Tom;
When is the best time to have a phoncon? Today being Sunday, I have some family obligations to attend to... but can be available late this afternoon or this evening. Tomorrow I will be doing some finishing touches on my RR prior to resuming high speed taxi runs... This is my first experience with "Tail Draggers".... all previous aircraft have been nose wheel/ Tri gear setups.
The primary reason for getting the RR was smaller wing area... We have the "Mountain Waves" phenomenon here in WNC to contend with. Loved soaring with my MW's back in the 1980's.
Will coordinate with you late today...

Jay

claude.bouzerand

Hi, I am from France and I am just beginning to built a MWB10. I have plans of more a decade...I would like to add a "little" electric engine,just for autonomous taking off and climbing up to +-1000 feet. It means about 1/4 of an hour, but a battery for half an hour long flight is weighing more than 60 pounds...I thing that I will turn back to paramotor's engine with 1 galon gas I could have 1 hour ....and the more important much less load. I like a lot soaring,I had been hang gliding; paragliding and ultralight instructor for 25 years. It is just my tiny contribution to this very interesting topic.
Blue sky
C.Bouzerand
I forgot to mention that I had a Bright Star Swift for three years,it is the best hang glider ! I sold it because of professional changing...

Tom Emery

One other idea, get in touch with a couple of groups.

The Experimental Soaring Association, ESA, which has many many members in the San Diego and SoCal area, might be worth making a few phone calls into. The ESA president posts occasionally on this forum (username MM4440) and is a personal friend and member of my home EAA chapter in LA. The members of the ESA will include people knowledgeable on the Mitchell Wing, and you may very well find a guy who knows a guy who saw on in a barn, etc.

Also there is an organization called TWITT (The Wing Is The Thing), based in the San Diego area. Some of that organization's members may have a lead for you. It would be a very improtant networking thing for anyone interested in flying wings. Again it is very possible one old guy will know another old guy, who knows somebody's grand-daughter who inherited a MW project, etc.

I got to meet Don Mitchell after he had retired to Tehachapi, CA many years ago. This was long after the Mitchell Wing days, he was doing the P-38 and some other wacky ideas by the time I met him. But it was an honor meeting him,a nd I'm sorry I never got to know him.
Hello Victor Bravo,
I Got to the TWITT Site and typed out a long message introducing myself and explaining my interests and intent. I went to send it and it came back as non deliverable. Arrrggg.
I am going to try again with a shorter message on the other address it had posted.
Wish me luck.
Thanks for the information. If I do get in touch with these guys, I think there are some pretty rich veins of gold In "them thar hills".
So...what was Don Mitchell like? Were there wings sprouting from his shoulder blades ha ha? I bet he was a great guy, easy to talk to and humble as a guy can get. The great ones usually are.

Tom Emery

I forgot to mention that I had a Bright Star Swift for three years,it is the best hang glider ! I sold it because of professional changing...
Hey Claude,
You lucky guy. You had a Brightstar Swift? And you sold it? I believe a Brightstar has a far better glide ratio than a Mitchell wing. I have an Exxracy ridgid wing. I may try to configure a small engine/pod onto it at some later time. The Mitchell has me enthralled at this point. I am seeking the ultimate cross between hanggliding and ultralight flying. Please stay in touch and let me know how the build is coming. I may want to purchase your plans when you are finished with them.
You can reach me at:
Emerysandiego@gmail.com or if you can direct dial into the US call me at 011(I think)
619-253-2474.
It is always good to hear from like minded people perusing a "higher" goal in life. I tip my hat to you sir,
Tom Emery

Mike Stewart

Someone I know from the earliest days of TWITT told me recently that whoever is keeping the org together these days has moved operations to Texas. I'll see if I can find out more.

Tom Emery

Good Morning Tom;
When is the best time to have a phoncon? Today being Sunday, I have some family obligations to attend to... but can be available late this afternoon or this evening. Tomorrow I will be doing some finishing touches on my RR prior to resuming high speed taxi runs... This is my first experience with "Tail Draggers".... all previous aircraft have been nose wheel/ Tri gear setups.
The primary reason for getting the RR was smaller wing area... We have the "Mountain Waves" phenomenon here in WNC to contend with. Loved soaring with my MW's back in the 1980's.
Will coordinate with you late today...

Jay
Hey Jay,
Great talk buddy. It is always inspirational to listen to someone talk about the things he loves. I hope I find the excitement and satisfaction flying my Mitchell as you have flying yours. Old age...naw , not you.
I'll be calling you from time to time checking on the Ridge Runner progress.
Until then...skies the place,
Tom Emery

claude.bouzerand

Hey Claude,
You lucky guy. You had a Brightstar Swift? And you sold it? I believe a Brightstar has a far better glide ratio than a Mitchell wing. I have an Exxracy ridgid wing. I may try to configure a small engine/pod onto it at some later time. The Mitchell has me enthralled at this point. I am seeking the ultimate cross between hanggliding and ultralight flying. Please stay in touch and let me know how the build is coming. I may want to purchase your plans when you are finished with them.
You can reach me at:
Emerysandiego@gmail.com or if you can direct dial into the US call me at 011(I think)
619-253-2474.
It is always good to hear from like minded people perusing a "higher" goal in life. I tip my hat to you sir,
Tom Emery
Of course,as I said the Swift is far away the best hang glider . My wing was #16 I hope it is still, because it has been gone to an Indian Ocean's island . I sold it for economical issue...I will post my progress. I think the MWB10 can do some great enjoyments to her pilot. If correctly built and use it can last for long. Thanks for your interest
C.Bouzerand

Bille Floyd

Hey Claude,
You can reach me at:
619-253-2474.
Tom Emery
Tom Emery you say ; i believe i have flown Torrey , and Horse Canyon
with you ? My name is Bille Floyd .

A guy on this forum , asked me if i knew of an Exxtacy for sale ; i
have two of them, but got plans for both , (Pod, engine, with folding prop
and retractable out-runners for take-off and landing). Wayne Den... sold
one of them !

Bille

speedracer

In the late 70's George Worthington held ALL the hang gliding fixed wing World Distance Records with his Mitchell Wing. I think he was the first to add rudders to one.

speedracer

At the same time George held ALL the flex wing World Distance Records also. Man on a mission.

Bille Floyd

In the late 70's George Worthington held ALL the hang gliding fixed wing World Distance Records with his Mitchell Wing. I think he was the first to add rudders to one.
I was George Worthington's driver, in the Owens valley ; when he
was attempting that record !!

I ,"Think" he also held records in sailplanes ; back in the 60's ?

Bille

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
G. Worthington also had disastrous experiences in sailplanes apparently, having wrecked his AS-W12 sailpane more than once if I am remembering. He had written an article in Soaring magazine... "Is the AS-W12 for Everyone?" I think. But that's been a long long time.

Tom Emery

Of course,as I said the Swift is far away the best hang glider . My wing was #16 I hope it is still, because it has been gone to an Indian Ocean's island . I sold it for economical issue...I will post my progress. I think the MWB10 can do some great enjoyments to her pilot. If correctly built and use it can last for long. Thanks for your interest
C.Bouzerand
Hello Claude,
One of the things the internet brings out is a breakdown of barriers. I will assume you are posting from France. I am here in New Hampshire in the USA. I spent many years sailing to different countries. When one shares a common interest, it doesn't matter where you are from.
Ahhh... the Swift Millennium. The pinnacle of ridgid wing development. I try not be envious...but...
I am happy to see you are building a B10. Just curious why not an A10? The research suggests that the A10 is the way to go. I do not know how hard it is to acquire parts (aluminum sheets) but if you need any help from this side of the "pond" contact me and I will do we whatever I can to help you out. I am "semi retired". My definition of retired means you work just as hard or harder, but you dont get paid anything ha ha.
I will be following your progress so stay in touch. I feel we might be able to learn a lot from each other.
Keep smiling upwards,
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

It seems these folks are still around, at least according to the dates in the classified section.
Hello Delta,
Sorry it took a while to get back to you.
I have visited this site (pilotmix) many times. I tried joining pilotmix , but I cant seem to sync up with their web instructions. I will keep trying. I hope they have some useful information regarding the Mitchell wing.
Thanks for taking the time to help out.
So.. what are you currently working on?
Onward and skyward,
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Someone I know from the earliest days of TWITT told me recently that whoever is keeping the org together these days has moved operations to Texas. I'll see if I can find out more.
Thanks Mike,
In this time of uncertainty it is good to know there are people willing to poke around and find out stuff. Hey...birds of a feather...
Altitude and attitude buddy,
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Tom Emery you say ; i believe i have flown Torrey , and Horse Canyon
with you ? My name is Bille Floyd .

A guy on this forum , asked me if i knew of an Exxtacy for sale ; i
have two of them, but got plans for both , (Pod, engine, with folding prop
and retractable out-runners for take-off and landing). Wayne Den... sold
one of them !

Bille
Hey Billie,
Small spherical dirt and water we live on. Where are you located ? I live in Escondido. I trained with John Heiney and have been to the top of Horse Canyon but never flew it. I dont hold an H4 rating so have never flown Torrey. I flew out of Crestline/ Marshall at Andy Jackson Flightpark up in San Bernadino. Rob McKenzie taught me to fly and for that I will be in his debt until the atmosphere fills up with dust and dirt and wings no longer provide lift.
We need to get together when I get back to SoCal in June. I am very interested in your plans for the Exxtacy. I will be (hopefully) trailering a Mitchell A10. Quick trip to Rosarito Beach where "freedom" means unfettered access to the skies. Such a shame, having to go outside of the USA to persue something as basic as ultralight flight. Try launching from La Jolla Shores. Hands behind your back. Get in the car.

henryk

until the atmosphere fills up with dust and dirt and wings no longer provide lift.
=very interesting! (for my lift physic hypotesis...)
moore ?

-in my opinion, aerodynamic forces are results of kinetic energy of air particles (N2,O2...)

=its average thermic speed is circa 500 m/s...

=in qubic meter (1.3 kg air) we have Ek=0.5 m*V^2=>150000 J (150 kJ) clean kinetic energy...

iff "supply" engine 1 qm/s of calm air,we get 150 kW of power !

BTW=tornado gigantic energy suck small percent of this "calm" energy.

Last edited:

claude.bouzerand

Hello Claude,
One of the things the internet brings out is a breakdown of barriers. I will assume you are posting from France. I am here in New Hampshire in the USA. I spent many years sailing to different countries. When one shares a common interest, it doesn't matter where you are from.
Ahhh... the Swift Millennium. The pinnacle of ridgid wing development. I try not be envious...but...
I am happy to see you are building a B10. Just curious why not an A10? The research suggests that the A10 is the way to go. I do not know how hard it is to acquire parts (aluminum sheets) but if you need any help from this side of the "pond" contact me and I will do we whatever I can to help you out. I am "semi retired". My definition of retired means you work just as hard or harder, but you dont get paid anything ha ha.
I will be following your progress so stay in touch. I feel we might be able to learn a lot from each other.
Keep smiling upwards,
Tom Emery
Hello Tom,
I feel good to meet people like you on the internet that helps a lot motivation ! After some researches I haven't found any A10 in my country even in close countries. I think maybe it is slightly heavier than the B10....For now I intend to use the A10's rudders solution for the B10, it is smart and maybe less dragy than the former rudders( maybe...) I am close to retirement ,too, and I am still working at the Airbus company,as a technician on the A330... About the Swift one of my ancient hang gliding student had the #01 ! He went to Bright Star, and even Stanford university, met all the staff and professors who did this marvelous flying machine to help for building his Swift and learn how to fly "her"! He stayed in California there for about 3 months !.
Regards
C.Bouzerand