Mitchell Wing

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tom Emery

If anyone has any knowledge of a single seat Mitchell Wing Ultralight for sale, please let me know. Location is unimportant. Finders fee paid.
Thanks
Tom

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
I think one of our members here was working on a Mitchell, I don't remember which version. Hopefully he may have a lead, or know of someplace to look.

And welcome to the forum!

Tom Emery

I think one of our members here was working on a Mitchell, I don't remember which version. Hopefully he may have a lead, or know of someplace to look.

And welcome to the forum!
Thanks fly2kads,
I am hoping someone has one collecting dust and wants to see it go "to a good home". I am drawn to the Mitchell being an ex hang glider pilot. I love the glide ratio: ...16:1. They are out there....waiting yo get back into the sky.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
There was a Mitchell Wing for sale on Craigslist recenmtly (within a month or two). Check the HBA thread "As seen on Craigslist" or "For Sale on Craigslist" over the last month or two, I may have been the one who posted it.

rivilee

HBA Supporter
Well, I have two but plan on finishing the rebuild on one and finally finishing one that was started many years ago by another owner. My plan is finishing one as normal and prototyping a new hang cage for the other. Where are you located?

Tom Emery

Well, I have two but plan on finishing the rebuild on one and finally finishing one that was started many years ago by another owner. My plan is finishing one as normal and prototyping a new hang cage for the other. Where are you located?
Hello Rivilee,
Two Mitchell Wings? You are a lucky guy. I am currently in New Hampshire but plan to cross the country at the end of May to return to my home in Escondido, California. Escondido is about 40 miles north , north east of San Diego.
I would love to have the opportunity to view your wings and talk about these things. Let's stay in touch. When I figure out how to pm you, I will send my phone number.
Thanks for keeping the Mitchell Wings alive and well and in the air.
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Would these guys know of any? Did you contact them?
Yes. I contacted Jim. He is "The Man". We had a great conversation that lasted over an hour. This guy is incredible. I am hoping he might be able to locate a wing for me. Nothing definite, but I have a good feeling after talking to him.
We discussed lessons. He has two planes capable of flying two people. He has another couple of single seaters. I don't like pushing people so I didn't make any offers to purchase. He told me he knows where there is a wing that can be had relatively inexpensively. It suffered an "incident " so repairs will be needed. As I type, I have not heard back from him. It has been a lesson in restraint waiting for that call. In the meantime, I have reached out on the web to let people know I am hoping to purchase one of these wings. I have also been doing research on engines. It seems Rotax did not do anyone any favors by eliminating the 447 .
I am going to stay "connected" and maintain a positive attitude in my search. I have already been rewarded with finding this site.
Thanks everyone for your help and feedback.
Stay healthy. Keep looking up.
Tom Emery

simflyer

If anyone has any knowledge of a single seat Mitchell Wing Ultralight for sale, please let me know. Location is unimportant. Finders fee paid.
Thanks
Tom
I know about one here in Czech Republic, but it is not that in video sent by Henryk (which is not for sale) :)
Here is also flying twoseater "MitchellWing" - aircraft constructors recalculated wing spar of B10 - built it here and then built twoseater with Rtx503.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jsample40

Tom; Jim Gordon is most knowledgeable on Mitchell Wings... He is likely your best bet to find one for sale. It would be worth your time in your return trip from NH to Calif to stop in and visit with him. He may be willing to sell one of his... but like pulling teeth from a tooth hoarder (LOL). I built 2 Mitchell B-10 flying wings in the early 1980's... Second B10A won Osh Kosh in 1982. Owned a Mitchell T-10 in mid eighties. Now restoring a 20 year old Ridge Runner I.

Tom Emery

Tom; Jim Gordon is most knowledgeable on Mitchell Wings... He is likely your best bet to find one for sale. It would be worth your time in your return trip from NH to Calif to stop in and visit with him. He may be willing to sell one of his... but like pulling teeth from a tooth hoarder (LOL). I built 2 Mitchell B-10 flying wings in the early 1980's... Second B10A won Osh Kosh in 1982. Owned a Mitchell T-10 in mid eighties. Now restoring a 20 year old Ridge Runner I.
Hello Jsample 40,
I agree that it will be highly educational to visit Jim and spend some time learning to fly the Mitchell wing. He is a very enthusiastic guy with a great sense of humor and an open and generous heart.
We discussed the possibility of him finding me a wing. He is undoubtedly my best shot.
So you built 2 wings? How did you like flying them? Did you do much soaring? Did you find the pitch overly sensitive? Jim says they fly forever in ground effect. Did you find that to be the case? What size engines were you running?
Why did you sell them?
I see you are restoring a Ridge Runner. Why that plane and not another Mitchell? I have a million questions. I'm just going to give you my phone number. If you have an hour block of time, give me a call. I would love to hear your experience with the wing.
Thanks for the post. It was "uplifting"
Tom Emery
619-253-2474

Tom Emery

I know about one here in Czech Republic, but it is not that in video sent by Henryk (which is not for sale) :)
Here is also flying twoseater "MitchellWing" - aircraft constructors recalculated wing spar of B10 - built it here and then built twoseater with Rtx503.
That is such a great looking setup. Cant wait to get into one. Keep your eyes and ears open .
Thanks,
Tom Emery

Tom Emery

Hello Rivilee,
I guess this goes without saying, but...if you decide you want to part with one of those wings....
Much appreciated,
Tom Emery
619-253-2474
I thought I would just send my number in case you want to talk about these wings. I am all ears.
Good luck and fair winds.

Tom Emery

There was a Mitchell Wing for sale on Craigslist recenmtly (within a month or two). Check the HBA thread "As seen on Craigslist" or "For Sale on Craigslist" over the last month or two, I may have been the one who posted it.
Hello Victor Bravo,
I looked but couldn't find the ad. I went on Craigslist USA but nothing there. I am hoping Jim who runs the Mitchell Wing website and has a great setup will pull a rabbit out of a hat.
I plan on training with the guy. If things work out, I might stick around and give him a hand rebuilding a couple of these. The education would be invaluable and after seeing a couple of pictures of where he lives ( 85 acres...right next to a lake) it wouldn't be a difficult decision to make. I am keeping my fingers crossed. They made a lot of kits. I don't mind doing the work. I spent 25 years rebuilding boats and learned a bunch of skills. These skills should transfer to rebuilding planes. I have been studying you tube videos of covering wings with fabric. Like a lot of things, it takes patience, practice and good hand eye coordination. I've done a lot of laminate work repairing hull damage on a variety of craft. Go slow and get the sir bubbles out!
Stay in touch,
Tom Emery

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
One other idea, get in touch with a couple of groups.

The Experimental Soaring Association, ESA, which has many many members in the San Diego and SoCal area, might be worth making a few phone calls into. The ESA president posts occasionally on this forum (username MM4440) and is a personal friend and member of my home EAA chapter in LA. The members of the ESA will include people knowledgeable on the Mitchell Wing, and you may very well find a guy who knows a guy who saw on in a barn, etc.

Also there is an organization called TWITT (The Wing Is The Thing), based in the San Diego area. Some of that organization's members may have a lead for you. It would be a very improtant networking thing for anyone interested in flying wings. Again it is very possible one old guy will know another old guy, who knows somebody's grand-daughter who inherited a MW project, etc.

I got to meet Don Mitchell after he had retired to Tehachapi, CA many years ago. This was long after the Mitchell Wing days, he was doing the P-38 and some other wacky ideas by the time I met him. But it was an honor meeting him,a nd I'm sorry I never got to know him.