Missing airframe parts, legal to fly?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My position is it is not legal to remove aircraft parts, and fly said aircraft in Phase One missing parts, after the plane is inspected and issued a conditional airworthiness certificate based on all parts being installed and functional.
Is there a particular FAR you think was violated? If so, we could all learn from it.

TXFlyGuy

Well, I guess that's a wrap.

Legal to fly an airplane in Phase One with parts missing. Any parts. Critical parts. Airfoil parts. No big deal.

TXFlyGuy

Is there a particular FAR you think was violated? If so, we could all learn from it.
You might ask your local FSDO. They have the answer. And we can all benefit.
That's what I did. That is all I can say at this time.
Just was curious what the resident experts here thought on the matter.

TFF

Locality there was a homebuilt helicopter that the owner took a saw and cut a foot off the blades, because he damaged one.

The FSDO wants to see it written down. Log book, invoice, napkin, video with the statement. Testing with cowl off, flight number two. Red tape done right will get you hired at the FAA. Most don’t right it down. I just traveled to fix something. I wrote in the logbook what I did, but I’m sending it printed pretty for him to put in the books, because the owner likes the books pretty. If I had left him without the log finished and he crashed, it would be both our faults. Me for not completing the maintenance, him for flying with incomplete maintenance. To the FAA, documented incompetence is better than undocumented correctness.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
You might ask your local FSDO. They have the answer. And we can all benefit.
That's what I did. That is all I can say at this time.
Just was curious what the resident experts here thought on the matter.
In phase 1, I suspect you could remove anything you wanted and give it a try.

This expert (or idiot?) wishes you'd take the blamestorming elsewhere.

And I do like how you included even more secret squirrel stuff in your note. You have a pattern of withholding information. It is silly.

Kiwi303

To the FAA, documented incompetence is better than undocumented correctness.
Something not unique to the FAA or CAA's around the globe.

Try being in IT following procedures laid down by management who need reminding that computers don't work unless plugged in.

Plenty of reddit stories about incompetent bosses and their paper trails of idiocy.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
... People who saw my plane crash video were appalled that it was missing parts. I think the FAA would probably feel the same regarding this.
Asking a bunch of people you've never met on an internet forum isn't the way to go about this. Contact an attorney or contact the FAA. Nothing anyone here can tell you is worth more than the price you're paying for it.

Moderator Note: Thread closed. Contact me via PM if you have questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.