• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Missed my EAA chapter meeting this month

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They meet every first Saturday of the month. Had to study for finals.

Hadn't been in many years but decided it was time to start contributing some more to our sport/hobby so I got online a few months ago to find out when they met. Only thing on the web site(s) was an e-mail address. A week or 2 later I got a response, just in time to miss that months meting.

When I attended my first meeting I had to initiate any dialog with the group. I was shocked to discover that out of the 20 or so members in attendance I was not only the only one building an Experimental, none of the attendees even owned one. Kind of expected to be spotted as a new face and get introduced to the other members. Did manage to get a card from one member that was 'The unofficial e-mail guy. But not one of the officials like the president or secretary'. Sent him an e-mail after the meeting so he had mine.

Kind of expected to see an e-mail reminder about the next meeting, and maybe even a few sentences about what was planned. Didn't get such.

The meeting I attended consisted of watching some EAA videos and discussing what color hats and shirts to purchase for the upcoming Young Eagles fly - and what kind of shirts ("T" or Polo). Also discussed what to have for the barbecue and how long to wait after the flying so they "didn't have to feed that many people". Mention was also made about the main runway being torn up this spring for a complete rebuild. That bit of news was new to me. Going to be an interesting summer...

In all I was a very disappointing experience. I had expected to maybe offer my services to at least get something up on the web site or offer to trade labor on some projects. I left feeling that I would never fit in with this group. Any benefit, from either direction, seems not be worth the time.

Don't know if I should continue solo, round up some of the other builders in the area for a non-EAA group, or spend the considerable time that would be needed to change the direction of the existing chapter???

Back