Minimum panel to meet the "Technically Advanced Aircraft" Definition?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Turd Ferguson

(j)Technically advanced airplane. Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, a technically advanced airplane must be equipped with an electronically advanced avionics system that includes the following installed components:

(1) An electronic Primary Flight Display (PFD) that includes, at a minimum, an airspeed indicator, turn coordinator, attitude indicator, heading indicator, altimeter, and vertical speed indicator;

(2) An electronic Multifunction Display (MFD) that includes, at a minimum, a moving map using Global Positioning System (GPS) navigation with the aircraft position displayed;

(3) A two axis autopilot integrated with the navigation and heading guidance system; and

(4) The display elements described in paragraphs (j)(1) and (2) of this section must be continuously visible.

Further changes in technology may allow the Administrator to authorize deviation from the rule.

TFF

I have two high time buddies with cheap "retirement " aircraft. One is a Cherokee 140 and one is a Grumman AA1B. Both have duel Garmin G5s and WAAS 430s along with the Garmin ADSB setup. The Cherokee fulfills all the boxes because it has a True Track autopilot. The AA1 might end up with one if the get around to certifying it. Except for not having de ice boots, they can go just about anywhere. The AA1 also has another electronic horizon and a Garmin 500 GPS. Carrying a iPhone or iPad with Fourflight on it, if you get lost, you deserve to be lost. I know of someone who is trying to make a small fleet of similar equipped aircraft for rent in block times. Singles and Twins; I don't know where that project is at right now.

BJC

HBA Supporter
(j)Technically advanced airplane. Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, a technically advanced airplane must be equipped with an electronically advanced avionics system that includes the following installed components:

(1) An electronic Primary Flight Display (PFD) that includes, at a minimum, an airspeed indicator, turn coordinator, attitude indicator, heading indicator, altimeter, and vertical speed indicator;

(2) An electronic Multifunction Display (MFD) that includes, at a minimum, a moving map using Global Positioning System (GPS) navigation with the aircraft position displayed;

(3) A two axis autopilot integrated with the navigation and heading guidance system; and

(4) The display elements described in paragraphs (j)(1) and (2) of this section must be continuously visible.

Further changes in technology may allow the Administrator to authorize deviation from the rule.
I would guess that the majority of E-AB aircraft completed in the past ten years meet that criteria.

BJC

rv7charlie

Hmmm...I wonder if any single screen installations will qualify. Virtually all will have some type of IOS or android tablet in/on the panel displaying 'at minimum' a GPS driven moving map. That's how I intend to set up my RV-7.

Charlie