• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Minimax 1100R Maiden Flight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpd

Test flew my friend Tim's minimax on sunday. For the last 2 months I have been helping my friend Tim get his 1100r ready for its first flight. It was built back in 08 but was never quite finished or flown. The trailing edge had popped loose when the builder shrunk the fabric and after that the project was abandoned til my friend aquired it. Over the last few weeks we repaired the trailing edges, cleaned her up, rigged the flight controls, did the W/B and got her ready to go. She is a box stock 1100R powered by a hirth F33 and has a single 5 gallon nose tank and flaperons. Sunday we got good weather with sunny skies, warm temps and a light breeze at 6ish kts, unfortunately a direct crosswind but the plane was ready for her first flight. I made a series of 6 hops down the runway making final adjustments to the aileron rigging and elevator trim. Satisfied that all was well I back taxied down the 3500ft strip a final time, lined her up and opend the throttle on the little Hirth F33. I was immediately impressed with the punch the Hirth provided, definitely pulled harder than any 277 i have flown. The takeoff roll was short, well under 200ft and climbing out at 40mph and 6k rpm had me above 300ft by the end of the runway. I leveled at 400ft, turned downwind and throttled down to 5700rpm, airspped indicated 55mph and the airplane was flying wings level but requiring slight foward pressure on the stick. I continued on about a mile south of the field before swinging her around to line up on final. Throttled back and crossing the numbers at about 50ft i let her settle into ground effect and added just enough power to keep her floating, upwind wing low, to the taxiway turnoff at the far end. 200ft from the taxiway i cut power completely for a butter smooth 1 wheel landing and rolled onto the taxiway passed a few excited onlookers.

Back