MiniMAX 1100/1030

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

lake_harley

Saying it's "completed" might still be a bit of a stretch, but after a W&B check, making the control connections to the control surfaces, and fine-tuning the rigging it'll be ready to transport to the airport. My MiniMAX has been just over two years in the making. I built from scratch so I'm sure that added some time to the build. I'm pretty "snug with a buck", so I'll generally take the path of spending time in place of money. Hopefully transport to the airport and testing will happen in the next couple of weeks.

Lynn

Attachments

lake_harley

Thanks, gentlemen. Those huge ailerons will be used very cautiously for quite a while I think. :)

Lynn

lake_harley

How much do you estimate it cost you to scratch build this?

I have decided on the minimax 1100R as well.
I haven't totaled all of the receipts recently and I have now sold off some of the "extra" stuff I accumulated during the build. I think the total would be in the $4500 to $5000 range. That's everything....new flight instruments and the 277 Rotax that I freshened with rings, seals and gaskets. There's a builder on the MiniMAX-focused ETLB forum ETLB Squawk Forums - ETLB Squawk Forums who is working on a personal weight loss program as he builds his MiniMAX. bigbrixx1 (or something like that) is his user name and he's doing a great job on the weight loss and the building process. ETLB is a very helpful forum that you should check out if you're serious about building a MiniMAX.

FWIW, I think a HiMAX might be difficult to get to 254# with all of the high-wing structure needed. That question might have been raised in another thread though

Turd....the weight came in at 246# empty, and I was pretty pleased with that! With me and 2.5 Gal of fuel it was at 416#.

I have to shamefully admit though that I still haven't flown my MiniMAX. I've taxied it a lot but, by choice, have not yet left the ground. The airport where I have the MiniMAX is over 1.5 Hr. away, and I just seem to never get there.....only 4 times since April! In the next week or two I will be moving it to an airport that is slightly under an hour away. I bought a hangar there and am in the process of building doors to close it up. I do think the first flight will come yet this Fall.

Lynn

Turd Ferguson

....the weight came in at 246# empty, and I was pretty pleased with that!
I would be too! That is spectacular!!

In the next week or two I will be moving it to an airport that is slightly under an hour away. I bought a hangar there and am in the process of building doors to close it up. I do think the first flight will come yet this Fall.
That is good news! I read a news blurp where the town of Dexter, MO is getting a new hangar built. Good to see the smaller airports prospering from long awaited funding.

lake_harley

That is good news! I read a news blurp where the town of Dexter, MO is getting a new hangar built. Good to see the smaller airports prospering from long awaited funding.
Hmmmm....Dexter.....you must be familiar with SE MO? A member of our EAA chapter who lives in Dexter mentioned the new hangar at our last meeting. The hangar I bought (about 34' X 22') is at the Painton airport, about 15 miles NE of Dexter. Painton has a grass strip ~3,000' long that should be a great place to finally fly my MiniMAX.

Lynn

lake_harley

Just a follow up......I moved my MiniMAX (by trailer) to a different airport on Saturday. The "new" airport location will cut 1 1/2 to 2 hours off my round trip to get to my plane, so maybe I'll get to it more often and have a better chance of getting it in the air yet this Fall. I had to build doors to close up the open-front hangar I bought and finally got them hung and finished "enough" to move the plane in and have it secured.

The process of picking up and loading the MiniMAX at the "old" airport, the 120+ mile trip, having a flat tire on the trailer en-route (a story in itself, no spare along:depressed), and re-assembling it at the "new" airport made for a 11 1/2 hour day by the time we got back home. My wife took this photo just as we were about to finish up for the day. I think the cool lighting effect was quite by accident, but when I saw it, it appeared to be somewhat an epiphany that the airplane is at the "right" location now!

Hopefully, there will be a follow up soon about it's maiden flight.

20150912_172857-1.jpg

pwood66889

Sure looking forward to your PiRep, Lynn. Got a couple guys building on `em, and I might even bite if the `coupe goes down for the count.
Percy in SE Bama