Minimax 1030 build

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Jeff Higgins

My son and I got started on our minimax build finally. I started on the workbench the other day, got the remaining supplies today and finished it to start the build. It doesn't look like much but we have about 2.5 hours into the start of the fuselage. Of course some of that was laying out the lines from the prints onto the bench top. This was my first time cutting a scarf joint but I think it turned out nice. The prints say at least 6" so I made it 7" just to be safe. I posted this here instead of in the build log area because I want opinions and input along the way.20200101_202508.jpg 20200101_202314.jpg 20200101_202304.jpg

narfi

I posted this here instead of in the build log area because I want opinions and input along the way.
There are differing opinions on this, but I personaly prefer interactive build logs as well.
How old is your son? Mine is 10 now and we are looking forward to building a plane together as soon as we finish our current project.

Neal Scherm

I didn't even think to mention that he's 9. I figure I'll take him up on his offer to help before he gets too old and cool to hang out with his dad lol.
Enjoy it while you can,
They grow quickly and distract easily. However, those are the memories my son and I cherish most. My favorite was his first time on my "REAL" ATV :) The neighbors little hedge was never the same...

Jeff Higgins

I'm trying to keep with the ultralight category for now. I hope to be able to purchase a LSA sometime in the future since I'll only have my sport license anyhow. I'm currently taking the lessons to do so and I'm at around 8 hours so. I'm practicing in a piper cub but I wonder how much different it'll be flying the minimax. I've found that tail daggers aren't too bad but are quite a bit more finicky than the Cessna 172 that I also practiced in a few times.

Victor Bravo

I would like to give you the gift of sneaky, underhanded, Macchiavellian manipulation of an innocent child :)

Tell him that you need him to help build the airplane as a fun family project, and that you really want to fly it, but also that the airplane will also be his fun toy to fly as well.

But because it's a single seat aircraft, you can't take him flying in it... so you will need him to pay attention in school, and not use drugs or smoke or drink, and learn about aerodynamics, and take flying lessons, which you will help him pay for if he stays out of trouble. And then if he can pass his flying test then the airplane will be his.... free !

By the time he figures out that all you were really after was for him to graduate high school with a positive lifestyle, and surrounded by decent quality people, it will be too late... he fell for it hook, line, and sinker - and became a good quality person :)

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
Love it you sneak. I did the same thing with my 3 children . Started building a KR-2 when the oldest , my daughter was about 12, son 11 and youngest son 8 years old. They are in there 50's now and still talk about all the fun we had building the airplane. Fake it, ask, even beg for help in the slightest thing you can use. Need help in using a brush spreading glue, moving a piece of plywood, etc. They grew up with the family pulling a camper to OSH each summer for a week. Daughter just got her drivers license and was pulling a camper to OSH. I bought an Ercoupe about the same time as starting the KR-2 build, so they flew with me and learning to fly. Oldest son went in the Airforce ( C-130), daughter is a good mechanic and I have flown behind engines she has built. She has helped me restore many airplanes. I run the bucking bar and she the gun. We have painted many airplanes , I wouldn't paint one without her help. She had owned several airplanes and her oldest son received a share in a 1947 Luscombe when he was 16 years old and also at about 14 went to OSH for the Young Eagles Aviation Camp. My ex-Airforce son's oldest son flew for the Airlines for a few years and got a better job of flying in a mulit-billionair's companys aviation depot flying a Cessna X-10 all over the world. Look what that KR-2 started, best money I ever spent, and boy, did I need the help. :)

Last edited:

Hephaestus

2years before he can enroll in Air cadets. Good time to start the knowledge train rolling... Airplane kids are always the first in the glider because they got indoctrinated young...

At least in Canada - USA probably has different rules.

Victor Bravo

I really wish that youth gliding programs (like that great Lithuanian youth glider video) had some "longitudinal studies" done to generate some "outcomes data", to demonstrate how much better or worse those kids turned out in life,versus the kids that were not in those programs. We all hopefully, desperately assume that those glider kids had lower rates of crime, jail, substance abuse - and higher rates of career success. But if there were actual hard data quantifying that, it would sure make it a lot easier to get programs like that funded today.

Jeff Higgins

Some more progress today. Another 2.5 hours of work and I honestly believe I can complete the whole fuselage in about 2 or 3 weeks time just plugging away. My only concerns are that the plans show the support in the one picture going over the scarf joint but mine is in front of it. I'm considering putting another support as a backup. I've measured everything a ton of times so I'm not sure why it's like this. The pics are out of order btw.20200102_203125.jpg 20200102_203033.jpg 20200102_203057.jpg

TFF

I assume that’s the seat area? I would be more inclined to glue a backing piece of wood, behind the scarf from the back vertical. I would make it at least as long as the scarf past the end of the joint. Then add the block in between.

Jeff Higgins

That is the seat area indeed. I'm thinking of just cutting a block to fill in that whole area. And also I'm just building the minimax 1030, not the himax. I posted it on the team facebook page and people are already talking bad about the wood grain. Do you guys see any issues with it being "too wide"?

Jeff Higgins

No but I can snap a pic tomorrow. All the pieces I bought had a minimum of 8 rings per inch from the cut end view, some even more. I thought I did right when I bought the wood. I was very careful to measure the grain slope and made sure there were no knots. Of course the guys on facebook are talking now.

Pops

Log Member
Like FritzW says, you have to look at the end of the piece to see the annular rings. Ignore the people on facebook and do what is right, they are just guessing. Glad, I have never been on facebook.
The people on this site are great people and will help you anyway they can.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're not on the East Tennessee Lonesome Buzzards forum, you need to be... it's the source for all things Minimax.

I figure I'll take him up on his offer to help before he gets too old and cool to hang out with his dad lol.
Ha! The key is to make sure he never stops thinking his dad is cool! My younger daughter (now 30) still likes to tall about seeing the paramotor flying over the church picnic she was at ("whoa, look at THAT!" "Yeah, that's my Dad"), or telling her liberal city school classmates about getting a shotgun for her 12th birthday ("I asked for a flute, but a shotgun is also long, round, and makes noise..."). Neither of our daughters became pilots, but they both still like hanging out with my wife and I. :)

(We got her the flute, too, shortly afterwards...)

Group Builder