Minimalistic gas tanks

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rtfm

Hi,
In between finishing off the rear wing of the Fleabike, I'm starting to think more about the gas tank. Fuel pump, gas filler cap, fuel drain - plus all the holes in the tank these pieces require. Surely there is a safe minimalist way of doing things? This super-neat gyro seems to have a store-bought plastic tank. Not sure how the fuel gets from the tank to the engine, but I'm assuming some sort of immersible pump?

Any help of pointers to videos/pictures etc would be helpful.

1648766010387.png

rtfm

I was thinking of two of these fastened to the outside of the Fleabike (12l each). It comes with a vented fuel cap and a fuel pickup/filter fitting. I could run each of them into a single fuel pump?
1648767963565.png

Fuel pump possibility?
1648768151484.png

On the other hand, I could fabricate a pair of more erognomic tanks myself and buy the fittings? Probably not as crash-resistent as the polyethylene variety...

rtfm

Duncan, your first and most appropriate method by far is to use the Good Lord's own gift of gravity to get the fuel from the tank to the carburetor. There would have to be a really good reason to not use this on the FleaBike.
Hi. Agreed, but where to put it? The only two places which suggest themselves are on the top of the cowl (need to fair it aerodynamically) and the other is inside the front wing (the outline can just be seen). Neither is optimal, although both are single fuel cells, which is good. And both are gravity fed. Not sure how having the fuel in a pivoting wing would work...
1648769105966.png

BJC

Supporting Member
Duncan:

There was a thread some years ago about fuel tanks that could be fueled at a gas station then strapped into the airframe. Lots of relevant comments / suggestions there. Hopefully, your search skills are better than mine, because I can’t find the thread.

BJC

rtfm

The advantage of placing it in front of the windshield is that I can fabricate it from vinylester and have it translucent for an immediate fuel gauge reference. Also, easy to fill, and somehow comforting to be able to see the tank, instead of it being hidden in the wing. From initial calculations, it will hold 23 litres.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
What engine? If a 2-stroke, the Mikuni pulse pumps are by far the simplest other than gravity feed. Note that the carburetor float needle size may need to change depending on whether it's gravity or pump feed, and for gravity you may need a certain minimum amount of head (vertical distance between the bottom of the tank and the carburetor).

You should only need two holes in the tank: filler and outlet. I don't know what's available in Australia, but plastic marine tanks are probably a good start, and are already set up with fill and outlet connections.

Malcolm C

Supporting Member
Unless the filler cap is vented you will also need a vent otherwise you will suffer fuel starvation due to the vacuum forming in the tank as the fuel is used.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unless the filler cap is vented you will also need a vent otherwise you will suffer fuel starvation due to the vacuum forming in the tank as the fuel is used.
True. Most commercial plastic tanks have vented caps, though.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
The vent deserves some thought, and may be worth a separate line going above the tank and pointed into the breeze or otherwise in an area of positive pressure.. You don't want fuel spilling out of it when you change attitude/bank, or when the tank is full and fuel sloshes around (especially when it sloshes forward on braking). Also note that spilled fuel (from sloppy refilling, from a vent, etc) can craze, fog, and quickly destroy some plastics (including polycarbonate (aka Lexan), which is very popular for windscreens).

Last edited:
Hi. Agreed, but where to put it? The only two places which suggest themselves are on the top of the cowl (need to fair it aerodynamically) and the other is inside the front wing (the outline can just be seen). Neither is optimal, although both are single fuel cells, which is good. And both are gravity fed. Not sure how having the fuel in a pivoting wing would work...
View attachment 124033
The HM-14 had the fuel tank in the wing. Another look at the Bouquin might give some ideas.

rv7charlie

Supporting Member
What engine? Most carbs only want 2-4 psi max. Facet also makes 'cube' pumps that are a bit cheaper & smaller/lighter; common in many homebuilts.

Depending on mount possibilities, boat tanks are a good option, but many ultralites use light weight general purpose plastic tanks. Here's a link to the ones (direct from a mfgr) that Kolb has used in several models.

Kolb tank

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
The advantage of placing it in front of the windshield is that I can fabricate it from vinylester and have it translucent for an immediate fuel gauge reference. Also, easy to fill, and somehow comforting to be able to see the tank, instead of it being hidden in the wing. From initial calculations, it will hold 23 litres.
I think being able to see at least the last two or 3 gallons of gas should be a requirement, not a law or regulation but just one of those common sense things people do and don’t argue about like putting the wheels on the bottom.

Skinnybird

Pull one from the Bede playbook and use hollow struts as a four barrel fuel tank...

Daleandee

Duncan, your first and most appropriate method by far is to use the Good Lord's own gift of gravity to get the fuel from the tank to the carburetor. There would have to be a really good reason to not use this on the FleaBike.

I like gravity. My Cleanex has the tank between the panel & firewall and fuel is gravity fed to a Marvel MA-3SPA carb under the engine. No fuel pump required and as Pops always says, "if it ain't there it costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't fail."