Minimalist/Ultralightweight Gyroplane from Bike/Trike & Paramotor Engine?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

sanman

Here's a guy floating & dancing like a fairy:

Is it because of wind?
I wonder how much power his engine has, to enable him to fly like that?

Last edited:

sanman

But GyRhino had a complex rotor-head for the articulated blades, didn't it? Doesn't that raise the complexity & expense?

These guys from Fusioncopter (makers of JK-2 Nano) are trying to build their main project, FC-4:

If you watch the end of that video, you'll notice that it has dual rotors overhead - not sure exactly how they do that.
I'm also not sure what the benefit is. Are they just trying to reduce rotor diameter for some reason?

Please go for that Nano machine, you'd not need to spend much and would stand a far better chance of survival.
On the website there are videos of these things taking off, flying and landing, all safely. I understand your desire to build a flying machine but 200 feet up is not the place to discover that something you built and thought was going to work, doesn't. I'm sorry to be negative but trailblazing for the sake of it is futile, especially when the scratch for your itch already exists.

sanman

Please go for that Nano machine, you'd not need to spend much and would stand a far better chance of survival.
On the website there are videos of these things taking off, flying and landing, all safely. I understand your desire to build a flying machine but 200 feet up is not the place to discover that something you built and thought was going to work, doesn't. I'm sorry to be negative but trailblazing for the sake of it is futile, especially when the scratch for your itch already exists.
Well, what scratch already exists? An Air Command? They still look so heavy.

sanman

Luminati seems to have come out with a small electric gyro which looks rather cool with its ducted fans:

They say it can hit 208 knots -- and they plan to incorporate GyRhino's jump takeoff technology! :wonder:
They're saying this initial model has a battery-limited flight endurance of 54 minutes, but that their future high-speed model will fly as long as 2.5 hours. 😲

Planned selling price is $160K

Is something like this really possible, or is this hype? 🤔

Last edited:

Aesquire

By all means look FIRST at the Honeybee.

Plans and parts are available. Plans are free, so there's no excuse not to look. ;)

Yes, a microlight/ultralight trike chassis with a helicopter rotor and control hub is doable. The more powerful engines, like a Polini 250 or 303 should have enough power, or a Kawasaki 440. ( all used in trikes )

I second the suggestion to avoid prone. It's a complex problem to strap in, and safely support a pilot that way. I say that with years of experience and multiple prone harnesses in my basement.

Ditto Please Don't try a rudder in front, or other ideas to improve the design, until you grasp all the reasons rudders on boats are in back, and the steering wheels on car are in front. Ditto fletching on arrows!

If you want to keep to pt103 U.S. Ultralight rules, you have a tough weight limit to hold EVERYTHING down to.

So the really nice retractable gear adds weight you don't want for drag reduction a gyro in that speed range doesn't really benefit from. ( a bigger, more powerful gyro might but few today bother. If you're in the under 200 mph zone, retractable gear is generally not worth it for speed. It IS worth it for soaring! )

But the decades of research that gives the Flylight trikes the sub70 weight might be an even better chassis than the Honeybee. Better shock absorption in the landing gear, & folding to fit in your hatch back.

Overall, I think it's a Very good idea. If you want to learn all about gyros, and build a cool One of your own.

If you don't want to learn all about gyros, then for Loki's sake don't! There are subtleties too complex for a thread post that make them extremely dangerous for the ignorant. ( true for everything in aviation )

Or if just flying is your goal, get an already tested and proven craft. I like trikes, I WANT an Adam! Or if gyros are your ideal, build or buy one. Ditto boring regular airplanes. ;)

sanman

Let us know how it does when there is one flying.
=probably on the base of NANO-2 autogyro...

Never mind -- others on the net say the guy is a fraud with a bad track record:

John.Roo

Luminati seems to have come out with a small electric gyro which looks rather cool with its ducted fans:

They say it can hit 208 knots -- and they plan to incorporate GyRhino's jump takeoff technology! :wonder:
They're saying this initial model has a battery-limited flight endurance of 54 minutes, but that their future high-speed model will fly as long as 2.5 hours. 😲

Planned selling price is $160K

Is something like this really possible, or is this hype? 🤔
When we started work on electric motorglider we did also some research how to make electric gyroplane. Finally we focused on the TMG, however we finished work on improved design of blades etc. It was funny to see that majority of gyroplane instructors knows exactly HOW to fly gyroplane, but they have no idea WHY are gyroplanes flying :)
208 kts / 385 kmph speed? Definitelly not without large modification of blades design, large improvements done on rotor head and a LOT of power.
54 minutes endurance? It is too precise number for prototype not flown yet :) Seems that is based on optimistic calculations. But this could be possible.
Price 160K USD?
Ready To Fly NANO gyrocopter with ICE costs 25K USD.
Even as a fan of electric flying machines I have to say that it is nonsense....
However - LUMINATI VTOL prodution possibilities are impressive 👍

henryk

208 kts / 385 kmph speed?
"Their displayed gyro showed off their proprietary, custom nacelles, which grant the 260 pound aircraft a sporty 340 pounds of thrust. Its hot rod performance allows the gyrocopter to hit a top speed of 208 knots, one of the fastest of its type. Plans to offer a production version of the aircraft are in the works, with a target price around $160,000. "

=2x 80 kG thrust from 2x 40 kW electric motors in circa 0.6 m ducts... ?