Minicoupe

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
Can anyone combine the tail wheel Mini Coupe render with the PIK 26 turtle deck and Stuka Wind Screen in Photoshop? Is the fuselage to wide and comfy to pull off the lines? I am dropping down to Maryland and hope to sit in Ron's plane.

There you go, everything but the nosewheel in a Swiss EKW C-36 with no extra charge for the second seat or the guns. ;-)

c3603-17.jpg
And if you've got a spare T53 turboprop with nothing else to do....
1652255120391.png

No, it's not the plane he wants to fly, he'd prefer a STOL and he doesn't like the rigid undercarriage. He also hates rules and paperwork so I can't see him getting back into aviation.
Maybe I'll make him an offer one day.
Don't wait!!!

Yesterday I planned a 1 hour visit with Ron Dixon. The hour evaporated into two + with some old fashioned hanger flying. Fortunate my wife made quick friends with his Girlfriend. Ron was around in the very early days of home building. I was delighted with the 24" wide cockpit of the Minicoupe! It is a rugged simple design that flies equally well with a big VW or a Continental. I have it on my list this next to a SSSC it would be a great companion ship in the fleet!
Visit With Ron Dixon.jpg

WarpedWing

Yesterday I planned a 1 hour visit with Ron Dixon. The hour evaporated into two + with some old fashioned hanger flying.

Lol, it's nice to know ole Ron has not changed. Other than getting older. He can talk a blue streak! I can understand how 1 hour turned into two.

I have known Ron since 89 when I became a member of EAA Chapter 4. He tried to get me to build a Minicoupe just about every day for twenty years. He loves that plane of his. It is a sweet little machine. It's simple and enjoyable to fly. He is a great pilot and a gentle giant. I was always amazed at how he fit into the Minicoupe.

Lol, it's nice to know ole Ron has not changed. Other than getting older. He can talk a blue streak! I can understand how 1 hour turned into two.

I have known Ron since 89 when I became a member of EAA Chapter 4. He tried to get me to build a Minicoupe just about every day for twenty years. He loves that plane of his. It is a sweet little machine. It's simple and enjoyable to fly. He is a great pilot and a gentle giant. I was always amazed at how he fit into the Minicoupe.
Good description he told me when he first flew it he was over 300lbs. I am sure it flies better at his current 177lbs. The point he made is the design can take the extra weight of a 0-200 over a VW. This would also make it a good mount if you were interested in flying a Corvair!

Richard VanGrunsven of RV fame did the stress analysis on the design with the C85 and full electric before Ron flew it at 300lbs and had no concerns....

Matt

Pops

Supporting Member
But I was thinking that. OK. :)

I still think a homebuilt clone of the Ercoupe would be a nice airplane. Wish I had enough time to build and fly all the airplanes I wanted. Then there is the BeetleMaster. Maybe all the time in heaven we will be able to do that.

cluttonfred

Supporting Member
That photoshopped taildragger Mini Coupe reminds me of the unbuilt Miles M.74 trainer derived from the M.38 Messenger. I do think a two-seat design like the Mini Coupe with both taildragger and tricycle gear options would be great fun.

1653465450602.png
1653465404345.png 1653465425790.png
1653465363293.png 1653465384612.png

Kurt Ayres

New Mini Coupe plans owner (and builder?). I have already started an H5, but when I saw on Facebook that Mini Coupe plans were available, I just couldn't help myself and bought a set, which arrived on Tuesday. So are there any present or previous builders here who might be willing to share experience with, and answer questions for, this newbie?