Minicoupe

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Tiger Tim

The Mini Coupe is a neat looking little airplane, though if I had one those square vertical tails would have to go. I wonder how a homebuilder could easily do a pair of much more Ercoupe-like round tails?

BJC

HBA Supporter
The Mini Coupe is a neat looking little airplane, though if I had one those square vertical tails would have to go. I wonder how a homebuilder could easily do a pair of much more Ercoupe-like round tails?
Anyone with a few thousand hours experience on an English wheel could easily form them.

BJC

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
If you absolutely need rounded tail surfaces quickly and easily, then bent 4130 tubing covered in fabric has been proven in one or two aircraft. ;-p Though you could also lose the rounded cowing and turtledeck and go with something with all straight lines to push the "heck, even I could do that" factor even higher.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Square or tapered vertical fin/rudder basic structures, with rounded foam and glass tips, wold give you a much more modern look without the thousand hours of rolling metal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 103

Square tapered vertical fin/rudder basic structures, with rounded foam and glass tips, wold give you a much more modern look without the thousand hours of rolling metal.
I like the visual clean up! This is a neat plane from about the time I first learned you could build your own airplane. I was 6 in my friends back yard looking up at a plane overhead and my friends father said you can build a plane for yourself.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/59/8f/34/598f3449e92803b1343073c507e0733d.jpg

https://books.google.com/books?id=DNUDAAAAMBAJ&pg=RA1-PA78&lpg=RA1-PA78&dq=tena++mini-coupe&source=bl&ots=e24GjE4Vqe&sig=ACfU3U2MrgE6whzO1ck6nmQCUPUT1SLSRQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj7zJOpgtrmAhVGHc0KHWWRCWUQ6AEwEnoECAsQAQ#v=onepage&q=tena mini-coupe&f=false

Aerowerx

I see this over and over here on HBA.

Would someone please explain to me why, whenever someone comes up with a neat little design someone else immediately wants to change it????o_O

BJC

HBA Supporter
Most of the time they end up with something that is completely different.

In other words, a totally new design. So why not just start from scratch?
Its a lot more work to build a modified version of a proven, existing design, than to build per plans, but much less work than starting from scratch to develop a “totally hew design”.

Almost every airplane in existence has adopted features of previous designs.

BJC