Mini Coupe Build

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Kurt Ayres

I have just begun a Mini Coupe scratch build (website -- Kurt's Mini Coupe), and just want to ask if there are any current/former builders of this design anywhere here (or anyone who knows someone who is/was). There is going to be a lot of "reading between the lines" to come, and I'd appreciate the help of anyone with knowledge who might be able to answer the occasional technical question.

Pops

Supporting Member
What is not to like about this ?

Back in the early 1970's I flew a cross county flight with a 1600 cc, VW powered Mini-Coupe with my Ercoupe. I was impressed with the climb and cruise . Last time I saw it several years ago, it was tied down at HTW and talked to the owner.

Kurt Ayres

Back in the early 1970's I flew a cross county flight with a 1600 cc, VW powered Mini-Coupe with my Ercoupe. I was impressed with the climb and cruise . Last time I saw it several years ago, it was tied down at HTW and talked to the owner.

Do you remember the N number by any chance?

WWhunter

Not to get this thread off topic, but was there an article on this plane in Popular Mechanics back in the mid 70's. I remember being in high school and the Teenie Too was in the magazine but in another issue there was a small single seater that had a article written about it. I recall be quite enthralled with it and had cut the article out and kept it. reread it so many times the pages were worn out. FOr some reason I was thinking it was either this Mini Coupe or something called the Mini Hawk. Anyone have a recollection of it. Only other aspect I recall is there was a picture of it on the trailer mentioning how easy the wings were to remove for hauling. I did a search and found a short Plane and Pilot article on the Mini Hawk, but not sure if it is the plane I am thinking of.

Wanttaja

Do you remember the N number by any chance?
Going by the location in Lawrence County Ohio, there's one Mini-Coupe still registered in Ohio: N137AK. Actual address is Barnesville, OH...don't know how close that is.

The list of Deregistered aircraft shows three more whose last registered owner was in Ohio:
N75VB (Loaain, OH)
N5DV (Walbridge, OH)
N75DS (North Ridgeville, OH)
1657115543967.png
Ron Wanttaja

Bill-Higdon

Going by the location in Lawrence County Ohio, there's one Mini-Coupe still registered in Ohio: N137AK. Actual address is Barnesville, OH...don't know how close that is.

The list of Deregistered aircraft shows three more whose last registered owner was in Ohio:
N75VB (Loaain, OH)
N5DV (Walbridge, OH)
View attachment 127427
Ron Wanttaja
Put a set of fake Jato's on it

Pops

Supporting Member

N75VB (Loaain, OH)
N5DV (Walbridge, OH)
View attachment 127427
Ron Wanttaja
Lawrence co is about 60 miles south of me ( down the Ohio River). Barnesville, Oh is north and about 20 miles west of Wheeling, WV in Ohio, a few miles south of I-70. Airport 6G5. Might phone the airport and inquire.

Kurt Ayres

N75VB (Loaain, OH)
N5DV (Walbridge, OH)
View attachment 127427
Ron Wanttaja
Thank you for the "heads up," Ron; I'll try to contact the current owner. That's the hard part of doing FAA registration lookups -- you need the manufacturer's name as well as the model. By the way, I love the art work. Is that yours?

Kurt Ayres

Not to get this thread off topic, but was there an article on this plane in Popular Mechanics back in the mid 70's. I remember being in high school and the Teenie Too was in the magazine but in another issue there was a small single seater that had a article written about it. I recall be quite enthralled with it and had cut the article out and kept it. reread it so many times the pages were worn out. FOr some reason I was thinking it was either this Mini Coupe or something called the Mini Hawk. Anyone have a recollection of it. Only other aspect I recall is there was a picture of it on the trailer mentioning how easy the wings were to remove for hauling. I did a search and found a short Plane and Pilot article on the Mini Hawk, but not sure if it is the plane I am thinking of.
There was an article about the Mini Coupe in Popular Mechanics from that time; I was able to obtain one. The airplane was also featured in Plane & Pilot's Homebuilt special issue in 1974, and a copy I found on eBay is on its way. Any source of information is welcome.

Kurt Ayres

There is another Mini Coupe in another aircraft museum in Oregon, and I've contacted them to see what information and/or photos they might be able to pass along.

Wanttaja

Thank you for the "heads up," Ron; I'll try to contact the current owner. That's the hard part of doing FAA registration lookups -- you need the manufacturer's name as well as the model.
I download the FAA database and import it into Microsoft Access. Makes it easier to run searches with wild cards and alternate spellings/punctuation.
By the way, I love the art work. Is that yours?
Yes it is, thank you. A while back, a magazine asked if I was interested in writing a series of short articles on lesser-known, older homebuilts. Told them that finding photos of such planes of sufficient clarity and resolution would be difficult, but that I could do small drawings of each aircraft instead. Gave them the articles last September, they haven't run them. Not sure if it's the writing or the artwork...I'm nowhere near an artist. Not an issue, I just added them to my clipart stack....
combined.jpg

Do have to mention the "pilot" in the Mini-Coupe drawing. One of our Fly Baby crew, Drew Fidoe, took a selfie of himself flying...he had a magnificent handlebar mustache at the time. I managed to turn it into a bit of clipart (airplanes I can draw. PEOPLE I normally can't) and it's now my go-to clipart for any open-cockpit airplane. Drew's graced everything from a Fly Baby to a Boeing Monomail. Even ended up on the logo for a classified program when we gave the the program the unclassified name, "Peashooter." :)

Ron Wanttaja

Andrewetal

Do have to mention the "pilot" in the Mini-Coupe drawing. One of our Fly Baby crew, Drew Fidoe, took a selfie of himself flying...he had a magnificent handlebar mustache at the time. I managed to turn it into a bit of clipart (airplanes I can draw. PEOPLE I normally can't) and it's now my go-to clipart for any open-cockpit airplane. Drew's graced everything from a Fly Baby to a Boeing Monomail. Even ended up on the logo for a classified program when we gave the the program the unclassified name, "Peashooter." :)

Ron Wanttaja
So, in other words, "Drawn Drew's" cartoon likeness has had a more varied, and perhaps more interesting flying career than "Real Drew"? :(

Do you have access to a set of original P-26* plans... they should be de-classified by now... what a fun EAB.

Ava

(*An 80A might be a bit too ambitious. :) )

Wanttaja

Do you have access to a set of original P-26* plans... they should be de-classified by now... what a fun EAB.
Do you recall the group in Washington state that built five replica ME-262s? There's a rumor they're going to do P-26s next. After the Zeroes.

Ron Wanttaja

Andrewetal

Do you recall the group in Washington state that built five replica ME-262s? There's a rumor they're going to do P-26s next. After the Zeroes.

Ron Wanttaja
No, I googled it and found that Collins bought the first "Neu 262" 10 years ago, a two-seater-- but they probably aren't selling rides :( . There was also a 9-year-old site saying one was still for sale, as well as a static mockup "suitable for museum display."

Zeroes should be easy... just take a T-6... add mint julep... hey, does that make it an Experimental?

Ava