Quantcast

Miles Aircraft.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

O'Davoren

Doug D
HBA Supporter
Does anyone know if any of the oriignal Miles plans still existing somehwere? Or are the only options now to recreate these from an original example as Bugsy is doing? I'm a big fan of the Chilton but these Miles designs still have the potential to find/use the originally intended engine which is an advantage.

O'Davoren

Doug D
HBA Supporter

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I am glad to see some renewed interest in this thread. As I said earlier in this thread, I think the M.18 would make a great inspiration for a light, simple, modern, tandem two-seater with various options: open cockpit/canopy, taildragger/tricycle, and your choice of engine around 80 hp or so.

Hephaestus

And here I am thinking we have those Suzuki and Honda engines now... They'd fit the space nicely.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Yes, the 1.3-1.6 liter Suzuki engines seem like a great choice if you can keep the radiator installation neat. I wonder if a vertical radiator mounted alongside the engine so the air passes from left to right would work in order to simulate the look of an inline, air cooled engine?

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
One of my "someday I'm gonna build that!" sketches was "The Impostor", what would have been the illegitimate child of a Chilton Monoplane and the Miles Sparrowhawk. But executed in Rutan style foam and glass, or tin, to take advantage of CNC . The inline 60-80HP Suzuki/Raven was what I wanted to use, since it would fit into the kind of Gipsy-Cirrus-Mikron cowling that would be !%!(#*$& mandatory for such an aircraft. Now with Aeromomentum starting to make a fairly good name for itself, this airplane is starting to nag me again. I agree with Matthew, there should be a way to put a radiator completely buried in the side duct, so it looked like it should.

Last edited:

Tiger Tim

I wonder if a vertical radiator mounted alongside the engine so the air passes from left to right would work in order to simulate the look of an inline, air cooled engine?
Just crib the FWF off a Kiebitz, I think there are enough in service to show it works. Why reinvent the wheel?
1593744511589.jpeg