Miles Adventurer / Adventure Air Adventurer HULL Cheap

Discussion in 'For Sale & Wanted' started by Victor Bravo, Oct 19, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 19, 2019 #1

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I know all about the structural issues with the Adventurer. I informed the seller that it needs a real engineer to be involved.

I ran across this on Craigslist, looks like an Adventurer hull. No idea which model, doesn't look like there's wings or a tail. But some scratchbuilder or kit-basher who wants to create a quick and cheap flying boat using some OTHER wings and tails might find this a time saver. I think this can be had, trailer and all, for $500

https://slo.craigslist.org/avo/6998760054.html

2. Oct 19, 2019 #2

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

UPDATE, 5 minutes ago... heard back from the seller. FREE to a good home. San Luis Obispo, CA

3. Oct 20, 2019 #3

GeorgeG

GeorgeG

GeorgeG

Happy Miles, the guy who did the Adventure Air thing, is still active on Facebook. You can find him there, and maybe get some information.

4. Oct 20, 2019 #4

crusty old aviator

crusty old aviator

crusty old aviator

The late Martin Holmann of Aircraft Designs, Inc. performed a structural analysis, FEA, and flutter analysis on Happy’s design and worked out all her shortcomings, over a decade ago. Whether this “free” hull has his design changes incorporated or not...caveat emptor!

5. Oct 21, 2019 #5

spaschke

spaschke

spaschke

Holmann's design changes are relatively minor and can be done after the aircraft has been built. I have the report and have implemented all changes so far except one, which I will start work on soon.

having taken a look at the ad, this looks like an earlier model, the bow is a little shorter than my 333. Mine was purchased around 1992. The design reviewed was the 333.

The main flutter issue is unbalanced control surfaces. The second is fuel in the wing tanks. There are 60 gallons worth of tanks in the hull so fuel is usually not needed in the wing tanks. If you need to fly legs more than 5 hours, then put fuel in the wings and limit speed to about 92 mph until the wing tanks are empty.

I picked my project up from a guy in Corona and hauled it back to Denver. A 20' uhaul truck is needed for the wings. The fusalage will travel well on either a boat trailer (not a lightweight one) or an auto carrier trailer (using the shipping cradle). Using the Auto carrier is easier until airworthy. Getting it on and off a boat trailer is difficult without water or a lot of help.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    cheapracer likes this.
  6. Oct 21, 2019 #6

spaschke

spaschke

spaschke

The pictures show little or no work has been done. The changes have NOT been done

cheapracer likes this.