• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Mike's Doodlebug/Tipsy Nipper Ver. 1(pics)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handprop

Hey fellas

Well, here is my first rough drawing (very rough). It's been real tough to copy from photos with any accuracy.

Tipsy Nippers have no starter and as much as I love to hand prop old airplanes this one has to have a starter. Another thing I added is a rollover hoop because the original had zero protection and I thought it would be a good idea.

The airfoil (43012a) has me a little confused. The wing is the same as the Corby Starlet, infact there darn near a perfect match. The "One Design" wing also seems to be a dead ringer. The Tipsy airplane is a product fom the 1950's and the airfoil selection the designer picked is tough to find any information on. If anyone has any clue why the designer picked this airfoil please chime in.:grin: My Taylorcraft has a 23012 airfoil and I think the first number has to do with camber but I have yet to do much research yet.

For the construction of the wing I think I'd like to build it out of composite instead of wood.

Whats on my mind now is to start working some numbers on W&B to see if i scaled the photos at least close. The drawing is kind of a hack job but i didn't want to spend to much time on it knowing it's just a ball park type drawing. Anybody see anything on the drawing that I'm off base on? Mike

Attachments

• Doodlebug 1.jpg
    Doodlebug 1.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 584
  • Doodlebug 2.jpg
    Doodlebug 2.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 748
  • Doodlebug 3.jpg
    Doodlebug 3.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,929
  • Doodlebug 4.jpg
    Doodlebug 4.jpg