Mike Patey - Scrappy's Wing

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
Several times he said hyper velocity laminar flow out of the slots. Laminar flow? I think he meant "turbulent" flow to prevent "separated".
Ugh, a bit like claims of "area rule".
I don't think he's trying to mislead people on that one, but there can be two interpretations of 'laminar' that I think were confused in this case.
Certainly with the double slats, he will have accelerated layers of air (laminar). But the entire depth of the boundary layer will NOT be laminar, certainly not beyond the slats.
If he had used the terms 'attached' and 'separated' rather than 'laminar' and 'turbulent' he would have been using industry-correct terminology.
But IMHO the ideas he was communicating are the same, despite the confused terminology.

jandetlefsen

HBA Supporter
Anyone noticed how Best Tugs has grown since they started the Scrappy series? Just from a fews snippets here and there. They had some beat down CNC mills in the beginning and now they have a few DMG Moris. That's as good as it gets. It's great to see and it seems like that's why they can throw so many resources at that build.

ScaleBirdsScott

I think he mentioned for the wing build he had his friend's machine shop do it to not take up their in-house shop time too much; so I think they are the ones with the DMGs not Best Tugs . Those were good lookin machines tho, if I ever outgrow the Haas I'd be looking for a Mori.

WarpedWing

After this weekend's video, I can already hear the grumbling of the purists poo-pooing what mike has done to his wings. Well, IMHO, hes' a genius. Nuff said.

Deuelly

Log Member
After this weekend's video, I can already hear the grumbling of the purists poo-pooing what mike has done to his wings. Well, IMHO, hes' a genius. Nuff said.
The seven Garmin display, ballistic parachute, carbon fiber covered tube frame, manually adjustable suspension, double slotted slat purists?

Brandon

Tiger Tim

I speculated earlier that the videos were several weeks behind and he had more done than he was letting on, but in this last video the phone in the one shot shows the wings went in for paint this past Thursday.

If Scrappy shows up at Oshkosh, I now expect it will get there by trailer.

Rik-

I speculated earlier that the videos were several weeks behind and he had more done than he was letting on, but in this last video the phone in the one shot shows the wings went in for paint this past Thursday.

We have been way behind

Tiger Tim

I was going to say it was possible that the date/time on the phone in the wing painting video was doctored but didn’t think they’d actually do it.

Anyone seen Scrappy’s registration come up on any of the flight tracker sites? Could that have been a misdirect in the videos too so we can’t sneak a peek at the first flights?

lear999wa

Apparently scrappy is going to be at the Garmin booth. Source, the flightchops video (14 minutes in)

Deuelly

Log Member
Since Mike is awake 20 out of 24 hours in a day flying off his phase 1 should only take a couple of days.:D

Brandon

Latest posts