Mike makes parts

Discussion in 'Tube and Fabric' started by Little Scrapper, Feb 21, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 28, 2019 #61

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Well, it was more of a question to myself than a answer. I'm sure it's pretty tough to do. I personally have not made aluminum bent up gear so I said that with lack of experience.

wsimpso1 likes this.
  2. Feb 28, 2019 #62

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Scrap,

I do not know either way how tough it would be. I imagine the big deal is getting exactly the bends you want while dealing with springback... 7075 (the preferred aluminum alloy for landing gear) has a yield strength that is one fifth of its heat treated strength, while my 4340's annealed strength is about half of the heat treated part. Bend it in annealed state and combine that with it being a smaller part for a smaller airplane should reduce the forces to bend it by quite a bit. I knew that bending my piece (5" wide, 5/8" thick) was out of range for me... You might be able to do it with a big pipe bender. Doing it would be worthy of reporting too.

Billski

3. Feb 28, 2019 #63

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I had quite a few conversations with Grove about a gear he bent and treated for me. It's quite a process overall.

I checked it for square plumb etc at a buddies tool and die shop on a large surface plate. Grove got that gear within about .020". I mean, it was absolutely flawless. It was truly a work of art.

I couldn't have done it in my shop that accurately regardless of the treating process which was quite a thing really.

4. Feb 28, 2019 #64

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Ok. Here's video one. I like videos much better than photos.

[video=youtube_share;JzwZKtcQu18]https://youtu.be/JzwZKtcQu18[/video]

wwalton, wsimpso1, fly2kads and 3 others like this.
  5. Feb 28, 2019 #65

Pops

Pops

Pops

You always do a very good job. I'm ready for the next one.

6. Feb 28, 2019 #66

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Coming from you pops that means a great deal. I just want to be part of aviation in any way I can even of it's a small part.

7. Feb 28, 2019 #67

fly2kads

fly2kads

fly2kads

In the spirit of the Academy Awards the other night, is there an award for "prettiest wing rib jig?" Your scrap pile sure outclasses mine!

8. Feb 28, 2019 #68

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I have it because my dad died. It was either throw it out or keep it so I kept it. Then it sits. Then it collects dust. Then you're faced with the constant question of "should I recycle it for pennies on the dollar or keep it because, you know, it may come in handy one day. Riiiight.

That's a problem. Haha.

So I kept it. About 30' of it.

9. Mar 1, 2019 #69

don january

don january

don january

It looks that it came in handy this day Mike. Jig looks strong and will last a Loooooong time. Good job.

Little Scrapper likes this.
  10. Mar 3, 2019 #70

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Woke up early this morning and was able to get to the shop. Built the steaming set up and ran a test piece. She's clamped. Not sure how long to leave it clamped but thinking one full day should do it.

Video #2 will be edited and up late tonight for those interested.

IMG_20190303_102815304.jpg

11. Mar 4, 2019 #71

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Soooo, what happened the Minimax project?

12. Mar 4, 2019 #72

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

You'd need to go back on one of the threads and read. A few different reasons. Wasn't really "all in" on it is the short reason, too many projects etc. I'll probably never go back to anything ultralight again or all wood. I sold and got rid of everything aviation project related. Regrouped. Looking for a project or complete home built.

In the meantime I'm just having fun building some miscellaneous parts strictly for fun to satisfy my urge to build in my shop when and if I can.

This is not a full build thread, it's just a wing making thread. Lower left wing of a Smith Miniplane. I'm documenting it on video (YouTube) so maybe others could benefit.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    Twodeaddogs likes this.
  13. Mar 4, 2019 #73

bifft

bifft

bifft

Just needs to be clamped until it is back to room temperature all the way (including on the inside). For airplane sized parts an hour should be plenty.

Little Scrapper likes this.
  14. Mar 4, 2019 #74

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Video 2 is up for those Interested.
    [video=youtube_share;loD40_SN_sE]https://youtu.be/loD40_SN_sE[/video]

wsimpso1 likes this.
  15. Mar 4, 2019 #75

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

A friend of mine has one of these airplanes. It is powered by an A-65. Not long ago he had to land it on a gravel road from what he believes to be carb ice. In doing so the lower wing caught the ground and flipped him over. His son came and helped haul it off. The did not have to correct tools and ended up cutting the wings off at the fuselage. I told him I would have found the correct tools before I cut my airplane up. He know has this sitting in his hangar. I am not sure if there is any parts you could use, but I am sure my friend would sell you what you need.

Tony

16. Mar 4, 2019 #76

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I appreciate the suggestion. I'm in it for the experience and fun of building so I'll need to pass. If I were building the entire Biplane I'd definitely be interested. I'm only building 1 of the lower wings until I figure out out my next move.

17. Mar 10, 2019 #77

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Here is video #3. I'm actually headed back to the shop and will upload #4 late tonight.

In this video I do a recap of where the rib jig process is now and the next step which is to build a router table. This video shows the router table and two different types of bits used in the process.

[video=youtube_share;QNX8LtytNpI]https://youtu.be/QNX8LtytNpI[/video]

wsimpso1 and mcrae0104 like this.
  18. Mar 10, 2019 #78

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

If you like to build parts but only have the patience to build a few... I'm all for going down the route of buying or rescuing a damaged, neglected, or abandoned airplane someone has given up on, and building the parts it needs replaced to get it flying again. Building a whole plane from absolute zero is... well.. it's an absolutely insanely laborious and lengthy undertaking. I mean really, you have to be a bit insane to do that amount of work, to get the plane you want... and just to fly.

I've typed that advice out to Little Scrapper several times, and then hit delete thinking, nah, he don't want to hear it!!!

Anyway, that's the road I take. Any work someone has already done already for me, to build something that no longer works, is a gift horse for me that I'm not passing up... that I don't have to build said thing from absolute zero.

For example, if I find a microwave thrown out on the side of the road and I scoop it up, and only have to open it up and replace a 5 cent fuse in it to make it work again, that's 99.999% of a microwave I didn't have to build myself from plans and source the parts for... to get a working microwave. And just by opening it up, and looking at it, I learned and absorbed something about how microwaves work. Am I then an expert in electronics from the experience? No. But I'm a little bit smarter than I was before, and it starts adding up over time, just by seeing how others before me did things...

You can I guess become a master at your art by building parts for fun over and over, scraping them, and trying again. People building electronics circuits certainly learn fast that way. I find I myself just prefer to fabricate custom parts only when I need them, as I need them, right then and there, fix the thing... and move on... because there's a thousand other things line up ahead of me I have to fix or do... and I'm not going to live forever.

So if you crunch the landing gear or clip the wings on your plane and don't want it any more, too much trouble to fix it, I hate it now, the paint is peeling and the carpet smells funny, I'll just buy a new one... kind of thought process... hit me up :p

19. Mar 10, 2019 #79

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Choppergirl, I mean this with respect.

Please don't post on my thread if it doesn't concern the topic. This isn't about "should or shouldn't", I am building, this is what I'm currently doing. What makes sense to you is irrelevant to me. You're spending months on building a trailer? I'm not sure. Anyhow, I don't post on that thread for the same reason.

Again, I say this respectfully. Your talking about something that's irrelevant. This is a series of videos of myself documenting a wing build. It's done this way for my kids, for other builders and because I enjoy it.

So if you have questions or input that are relevant to the wing itself, building process, standards, etc then feel free to post. Please stop posting irrelevant posts on my tube and fabric thread. Thank you.

20. Mar 10, 2019 #80

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Well, okay, just trying to help. Kind of the whole point of sharing on a forum.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with making parts, if your goal is to become a master at making parts, or in this case, to make a wing with your kids..

There is one hard thing I've learned from this place in my 1000+ posts, and it's kind of an elementary but dead simple with some wisdom behind it. It took a long time actually to sink in. Maybe I'm kind of hardheaded, maybe it's because the simplest lessons are the hardest to learn.

If you make posts, you'll get posts.
    If you take pictures, you'll get pictures.
    If you make parts, you'll get parts.
    If you build a trailer, you'll get a trailer.
    If you build a plane, you'll get a plane.

I made a thousand posts, took a thousand pictures... and got, a thousand posts, a thousand pictures. I could of just as well of been wrenching on an airplane, and got an airplane. Which is why I'm rather scarcer around here now, because 1000+ is enough for me.

Your goal may be to become an expert at aircraft fabrication. Nothing wrong with striving for mastery at all.

My own goal is rather different, to fly, by hook or by crook, by any means possible.

If a sweet old guy were to say to me, hey, Choppergirl, I'm 90 years old, I got two cateracts in my eyes, I can't fly any more, you can have my beloved plane in my barn, I know you'll take care of her and fly her like a bat out of heck like I did in my 20's, but you only have to promise me if when you get to old to fly, you pass it on to someone else...

I'd be like, shortcut! Boom, I'm there. You got a deal! See you guys!

If your goal is not to fly, but to make parts... bond with your kids, become a fabrication master... then alright then.
    We know then what your goals are.'

So, if you want parts, make parts!

Heck, even, make parts for other people. You'd be challenged by plans from all sorts of different planes...

I'm missing 20 wing ribs on my plane. I've never made wing ribs in my life. Probably a simple affair, bending them in a jig. But if someone were to say to me, hey, I'll make your wing ribs, and charge you for the materials plus a little extra... because I simply love doing it... it would give me pause for thought, and I'd seriously consider it and say.. okay!