Mike makes parts

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Hard for me to read those plan sheets in the photos. What material are they calling out for most of the parts?

don january

Log Member
Hard for me to read those plan sheets in the photos. What material are they calling out for most of the parts?
Some is Alum and Mild steel There is no call for 4130 but not sure what they used 65-70 years ago I used 4130 chromoly on all the plates. Also the prints are almost yellow because of the age of them. I have the pieces cut and made but the gear sure weigh a lot that is why I was thinking aircraft grade gear from the Cessna. What I see is many builders go Grove gear and clamp to front root spar under the cockpit but your stance is rather narrow. A center hole in a end table did the router mount just fine for me and your right so easy.:)

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Don, this is the airplane your building right?

Screenshot_20190224-205810~2.jpg

What beautiful lines that design has, I can see why you like it. Bending a spring can't be too hard, might actually be fun.

don january

Log Member
Yes Mike that is the Taylor-mono with grove type gear. I wouldn't mind finding a gear like that and get mounted before going much farther on the build.8167561223_e99e5ebf3e_b.jpg This example has the stock gear and tail wheel instead of skid

Pops

Log Member

don january

Log Member
Not too difficult just heavy Mike. And like Pops mentioned EW is a big factor with a 1835 VW engine and very little room for anything else. On a plus note it will have the same size wings as a KR-2 at a bit over 21 ft. span and that is just enough lift for 2 souls and 8 gallons of fuel. And I know Pops knows what flying a KR-2 with 2 aboard and full fuel is like.:shock: So I think the T-Mono will handle me and some weight in the build but not much.

Last edited:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Gonna take a break with this wing rib. It's a pretty tight bend so I need to make a steam device which I'm excited about because I've never steamed cap strip before. I've stuck them in water but never used steam. Looking forward to trying something I haven't done.

The furnace went out in my shop and it's 15° outside so I pushed my jobs off today so I can limp this furnace manually until the HVAC guys come and replace it, so I'm sort working on this wing as well.

IMG_20190225_230528625.jpg

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
one of the things the piet guys use to steam capstrip is to use a pvc pipe with a cap on one end. put the strip in the tube then boil some water with a tea kettle and pour it in

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
one of the things the piet guys use to steam capstrip is to use a pvc pipe with a cap on one end. put the strip in the tube then boil some water with a tea kettle and pour it in
I have some bent chimney pipe I could use. Maybe give that a whirl tomorrow.

bifft

That's how I did my kayak cockpit rim, and also the bent wood for a fork on my nosewheel towbar (for something airplane related). Worked great as long as there was no grain runout.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I made a jig for holding steamed cap strip last night. Took about a hour to cut parts and sand, then waited 3 hours for glue to cure. Then cleaned it up. The top piece is a bunch of 1/16" birch ply laminated against the jig for a flawless fit. Glue was Tightbond III. Bottom was a cutoff of a 2 x 10.

Hopefully I'll try making a steamer this week yet.

IMG_20190227_075905091.jpg

IMG_20190227_075930460.jpg

Tiger Tim

Looks good Scrapper. If that bending jig doesn’t do the trick make the next one with more curve than you’ll need because there will usually be some spring back. Also when steaming most woods remember that it’s the heat that does the work, the wet part is mostly to transfer and retain that heat. If I had known that in some of my earlier attempts at bending wood I’d have made a lot less scrap.

VP1

Todd C.
HBA Supporter
I messed around trying to save $10 bucks by making my own steamer device. Ended up being a PITA and not worth the time. I wound up buying a drywall steamer off craigslist and run that into a big PVC pipe that's capped at each end and has some vent holes for steam to escape. Works great and is cheap.

Pops

Log Member
I messed around trying to save $10 bucks by making my own steamer device. Ended up being a PITA and not worth the time. I wound up buying a drywall steamer off craigslist and run that into a big PVC pipe that's capped at each end and has some vent holes for steam to escape. Works great and is cheap.
Good Idea. Thanks.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I looked up wallpaper steamers etc. Dealing with Craigslist and driving all over and waiting on others to get back to me isn't worth it. But I'm in a smaller town so it depends on geography etc. For me anyhow, Craigslist is a hassle.

Tea Kettle at Walmart $5.00
Hot Plate at Walmart in the same isle $9.96

For $14.96 I think it's a good basis for some fun in the shop doing something I haven't done before. Looking forward to it.

I was aware of spring back but figured I'd be fine. I've built ribs with straight sticks so if I'm 99% bent that little bit of spring back the jig can make up for.

Obviously I'm a plumber and this is my shop and store so I'll use scrap pipe for the rest.

IMG_20190227_131723027.jpg

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Little Scrapper......wow,wow,wow....why am I a jerk?
That quote was meant as a compliment...
Since you seem sincere, I figure maybe I can help. Not to speak for Scrapper, but the "Those who can't, teach" comment has been interpreted as a comment about folks who possess little useful capability in an area and then drift into interfering with other folks who are trying to learn on the same topic. NOT a compliment...

Billski

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member