Mike makes parts

Discussion in 'Tube and Fabric' started by Little Scrapper, Feb 21, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 23, 2019 #21

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I swear, if anyone posts another GD thought about making money I think I'm gonna snap. Please stop. I don't know how to be more clear about this.

Second. I'm not asking for opinions on life choices. With all due respect to everyone, please stop reading in to this and making assumptions. In my life aviation is a tiny fraction of what I do with my time.

Let's put this in perspective ok?

If you have scratch built an airplane from plans start to finish please, and flown it, please post what you built and a photo of it. I'm quite certain this will be a short list? I have received messages and now it's bleeding in to the posts. I'm extremely confused, it seems the people who keep bringing up the fact that I have had multiple projects have not only never built one from scratch but haven't even attempted to start one. Understand, I have no regrets.

I had a blast building fuselages, wings, parts etc. I mean, most people sit home and watch Walking Dead or NCIS. I'm having fun, except for a few stressful moments in life overall it's been awesome.

I have over 100 YouTube videos explaining step by step in exact detail how to build airplane parts. Tens of thousands of views. Emails and messages thanking me for taking the time to do this. I've contributed heavily to aviation. My videos on the legal eagle ultralight have gotten people off the couch and building. Do you have any idea how great that makes me feel that I'm part of that?

This is a tube and fabric thread. This is a thread I set aside so I can build a lower wing of a Biplane. I plan on filming it. Why?

Because that's how I contribute to aviation. I'm fine with that, I'm more than fine with that. It works for me, I enjoy it.

Please stop posting in this thread about off topic subjects, send me a PM if you'd like. I need this thread to.be about a wing. It's very important. Do I need to explain why?

I plan on covering subjects like wing rib jigs, nails, glue, spars, finish, drilling, reaming, punching, layout, threading, the list goes on. Don't you understand? I'm contributing to aviation.

I realize there's great people who care on here, I really do. Thank you, I appreciate it very much. Starting a airplane and finishing not and flying it is a monumental undertaking. That's why so few engage in it.

Kevin. I'm not mad at your post but your assumptions are completely wrong. 90%of my life in my family and the business I own and operate. This whole airplane "thing" is how I blow off steam. It's "me" time. It's fun time in the shop with my kids. It's a chance fore to contribute to aviation. Don't assume too much from your limited reading, that's not even 1% of reality. I have multiple threads on here showing absolute close up photos and videos of my work, something EXTREMELY rare on here. I feel I've contributed greatly to this forum and the only way I'm able to contribute is to build build build. What I contribute and post I almost always show a photo or answer in detail as it concerns building. Your post is not something that should be on this thread, I know you mean well but it doesn't belong. This thread is a Tube & Fabric thread I'm trying to build a wing, hopefully someone somewhere will get value from it.

wsimpso1 and Pops like this.
  2. Feb 23, 2019 #22

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Lastly, and hopefully this clears things up.

I'm a very open fella. I hide nothing. I've found in my life that it serves me well and I have a great life, much much better than I deserve.

Based on a few posts and comments it seems like there's an opinion I'm in a funk? Not happy? Depressed perhaps? Lol.

Look, I type very direct and to the point. In person is such different experience than typing. People need to stop trying to play psychologist and put this in perspective. Most people would never type how they are feeling, I tend to do that. I'm open. So I suppose there's gonna be certain people who are trying to analyze the crap out of it. What needs to be understood is that sure it's a struggle, of course it is. Lol, I mean, most of life is a struggle of dome sort if you're trying to do anything other than laying on a couch eating cup cakes. Struggle isn't bad, struggle is good. Struggling to figure out how to be part of aviation while still be a good father and husband is down right difficult.

So I'm not struggling to build. No, it's the opposite. The struggle is how to fit it in without being a jerk. My number one priority is to be the best father and husband I can. Airports are full of divorced guys, no thanks. My struggle is how to have a little fun in aviation and still have a great family.

So it's a fun struggle, not a bad one.

3. Feb 23, 2019 #23

Pops

Pops

Pops

By doing a video and teaching how to build the parts you want to build, you will be helping home builders and doing a great service to the aviation world and having fun at the same time. Win/Win
    Have fun.

4. Feb 23, 2019 #24

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

build away, and please post pictures.

Little Scrapper and Pops like this.
  5. Feb 23, 2019 #25

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I brought out three sets of plans this evening and did the math and weighed the pros & cons. Pitts, Smith and Acro Sport.

I decided to build a Smith Miniplane lower wing with the aileron. It seemed to be the best choice given the material I have on hand and what I'd need to order. I researched the Pitts and there's a ton of information on building it already. The Smith I found almost nothing so that seemed like a good fit for me. I like the fact nothing exists because it gives my efforts some meaning. So that's my commitment.

I decided to do a series of videos on the process. Nothing serious or detailed, just fun. I have a bunch of video clips shot from my work session this evening on making a jig, that's enough for today. No hurry on this.

I did do something unique in my shop that I took photos of, I built a hinged wall mounted print table with a shelf behind it. This keeps the prints off the table.

IMG_20190220_170140570.jpg

IMG_20190220_170753578.jpg

wsimpso1 likes this.
  6. Feb 23, 2019 #26

Tench745

Tench745

Tench745

That plans shelf is an idea I've been kicking around for a while myself. Haven't found a good place for it yet though. I have a little hand-cart at work to roll around from project to project I was debating putting a shelf on too; never enough table space to lay out a sheet of drafting.
    Similar thought: I my Jr Ace plans have overall views of a wing panel and the fuselage which fit nicely in 2'x3' poster frames on my wall for quick reference.

Attached Files:

7. Feb 23, 2019 #27

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

Little Scrapper.......point taken,good luck with whatever endeavor you choose to pursue in the future,I hope it brings you joy.
    George Bernard Shaw probably said it best......Those who can,do.Those who can't,teach.

All of my pics are on my old Iphone and computer....but these are the last 3 projects I completed and have on my new phone.

My personal completed and flown projects list.........

Quicksilver MXL
    Quicksilver MX
    Minimax
    HiMax
    Hummelbird
    46 Ercoupe
    Zippy Sport
    Challenger I clipped wing
    Mini 500 helicopter
    78 Piper "TRAUMA"hawk
    Piper TriPacer
    RV8
    T-Bird II
    Zenith 701

IMG_2835.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_1640.JPG
    IMG_1649.JPG

Kevin

8. Feb 23, 2019 #28

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

What kind of jerk leaves a comment like this? Feel free to explain this and why you felt the need to write that. And the question wasn't projects that included factory airplanes.

How many airplanes have you started from scratch using nothing but plans, built it using nothing but a materials, finished it using no started projects, registered it, licensed it and flown it. That was my question. If you cannot type the N number on your post than do not post. This is a rare person and the number of people who have are statistically low in quantity. The people who have done this are very special because this is a hobby not a professional job. They are not people who go and trash people's threads, accomplished people in life never would do something like that especially in a hobby like aviation

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  9. Feb 23, 2019 #29

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I certainly will. I love your project. It's exciting seeing how far you are now. Little by little, piece by piece.

cdlwingnut likes this.
  10. Feb 23, 2019 #30

VP1

VP1

VP1

MMMM maybe i need an Emeraude

addicted2climbing likes this.
  11. Feb 23, 2019 #31

Pops

Pops

Pops

Never seen an Emeraude that I didn't think was beauitful. Always thought I would like to own one.

addicted2climbing likes this.
  12. Feb 23, 2019 #32

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Incredible how few people get that, isn’t it? Awesome thread otherwise and I’m looking forward to whatever assemblies or little widgets you do.

MadRocketScientist likes this.
  13. Feb 23, 2019 #33

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

Little Scrapper......wow,wow,wow....why am I a jerk?
    That quote was meant as a compliment....even though you haven't finished a project but you've taken the time to help educate others with your knowledge by doing the videos and posting on the Forum..you have essentially become a teacher of sorts.
    I'm not sure what your viewpoint is on teachers but I tend to hold them in high regard.
    I'm not exactly sure why you have the opinion that I'm trying to trash your thread.....if you recall,not long ago I tried to help you by offering some constructive criticism when you were complaining about not being able to find a suitable project...and you agreed and thanked me for the comments.
    Then,a week or so later,you posted again basically stating your inability to find a project to keep your attention.....once again,I offered you help by making all of the sets of plans that I have available for you to look over to see if something catches your interest but you never responded to my offer.
    So for my efforts of trying to help a fellow builder/aviator and complimenting him on his skills/abilities.......I'm a jerk.

And my list of completed aircraft was to answer your comment about people completing projects....not a jab at you.
    The factory aircraft were repaired after major damage,not built from scratch,naturally.....the Traumahawk I still fly.
    Many of the planes were built from plans or factory assembly manuals and flown as ultralights....no N# needed.
    A few of the planes were never registered because they were completed, test flight performed and then someone offered me a huge pile of cash for them before they were officially registered.....our DAR at the time was very cool with paperwork because our shop/strip is out in Gods Country away from everyone.

Once again,I wish you well with whatever endeavor you decide to persue.....building,teaching or buying a flying aircraft.
    But I suppose I'm a jerk for once again wishing you success....oh well,I'll take it.

Gotta go work on the Stork before the storms get here again....have a good day.

Kevin

14. Feb 23, 2019 #34

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

In the shop right now building up a storm.

15. Feb 24, 2019 #35

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little rib jig work this evening. Jig and a router pattern for making accurate parts.

IMG_20190223_165845702.jpg

IMG_20190223_170157362.jpg

16. Feb 25, 2019 #36

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little more fun this evening.
    IMG_20190224_174953853.jpg

17. Feb 25, 2019 #37

don january

don january

don january

Looks good Mike but I have to admit the red tennis shoes laying in place by your Cassutt rudder pedals was one of my favorite pictures to date.:gig: Did you ever get that router table built?

Little Scrapper likes this.
  18. Feb 25, 2019 #38

don january

don january

don january

Lil Scrapper you like making parts. What is your thought on taking 2 nose gears off a Cessna 150 and making it work for main gear on the Taylor mono. Cessna-150-HEAVY-DUTY-Nose-Gear-Assy.jpg cessna 2.jpg cessna nose 1.jpg cessna 3.jpg Damper would not be needed and angle would be set when welded to spar plate.

Little Scrapper likes this.
  19. Feb 25, 2019 #39

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Still have the shoes! :roll:

Funny you mention the router table. I was working on the rib jig tonight and that's what I was thinking about because the aluminum pattern is a pattern that can be used for a router. So I'm working away and I'm thinking, man, what if I just drill a 1" hole in my table and mount the router under it and let it poke up through the top? I don't know, seems almost too easy. Lol.

don january likes this.
  20. Feb 25, 2019 #40

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I've never done something like that but I'd imagine that's pretty heavy? I'd like to be in on that conversation if your thinking of converting it because it sounds like fun. What do most guys who've built them in the past do?