Quantcast

Mike’s Corvair build

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Build thread for my Baby Ace engine. It’s heavy so I’m trying to work on how I’m gonna make all this happen but here’s a update to start the thread.

Yesterday my wife and I put 13 hours of drive time round trip to go pick up a Corvair engine in Michigan. Cool guy with a Zenith 601 that switched to a Viking Honda.

Boxed it up and drove it back and now it’s in my shop. I have a 2014 manual and I need to do some reading and research.
AE06A9D2-D6ED-41A5-8FD5-65149DF9EEF4.jpeg902399E7-9A5F-4185-AEA4-BB8939CAA30E.jpeg

1st obstacle. I have a 8409 crank with is the desired crank. It’s magnafluxed unfortunately it was found that the crank was not Nitrited. Somehow this slipped through the factory as a mistake and I’m told it’s rare but it’s a known thing?

So.....either I find another 8409 crank or buy a brand new one billet one from SPA? Don’t know yet.
84CAA9CD-1C3E-4417-8F48-062DA2213B3C.jpeg

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The last car engine I built was in 1998 I believe, 383 for my 67 Chevelle. Motorcycle engine rebuilds since then but non in the last few years. A bit rusty and out of the loop so to speak so getting caught up.

TFF

I don’t know about Corvairs in depth, but most American and British cars of that vintage were not nitrided. Alfa Romeos, Mercedes, exotics, they came from the factory nitrided. You were supposed to be buying real race technology. It’s why you payed double or triple. Today it’s really only about how fancy the cup holder is. I bet if you can’t find someone reasonable close to do it, shipping will be just as expensive as to have it done. Shouldn’t be a big deal.

Can’t wait for you to map out the plan and inventory the parts.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I don’t know about Corvairs in depth, but most American and British cars of that vintage were not nitrided. Alfa Romeos, Mercedes, exotics, they came from the factory nitrided. You were supposed to be buying real race technology. It’s why you payed double or triple. Today it’s really only about how fancy the cup holder is. I bet if you can’t find someone reasonable close to do it, shipping will be just as expensive as to have it done. Shouldn’t be a big deal.

Can’t wait for you to map out the plan and inventory the parts.
Currently in “learning” mode. Looking forward to mapping this out as well.

Flyguyeddy

HBA Supporter
Only the 140 engines had nitrided cranks (iirc). Just send it off to spa and they will nitride it after grinding .010 and checking radiuses.