• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

MIG welding Aluminum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir Joab

Hey guys,
I'm in the middle of building a 1/2 VW and I need to weld new intake ports on the aluminum heads I cut in half. I have a MIG welder (unfortunately only 120V input) and 100% Argon gas, but on my test pieces I can't even get the welds to "bite". The metal from the wire just beads up on top the piece and doesn't even try to penetrate. I sanded the aluminum to try and get the cleanest surface possible, and I've tried all the power settings, and various gas pressures. The high ones just vaporize the wire all the way back into the tip. I've read all over the internet how to do it, but there's obviously something they're not telling me that I really need to hear...

I would buy a TIG welder, but my pockets aren't deep enough at this time. :depressed

Back