Microlight Lippisch Ente?

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by cluttonfred, Nov 7, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 7, 2018 #1

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

While I have no desire to take off using black powder rockets, I do think the Lippisch Ente canard glider converted to rocket power is worth a look as an inspiration.

1200px-RRG_Raketen-Ente_Deutsches_Segelflugmuseum_02_2009-05-31.jpg 1200px-RRG_Raketen-Ente_Deutsches_Segelflugmuseum_01_2009-05-31.jpg Lippisch_Ente.jpg

With a nod to Mike Sandlin's Bloop series (below), I have often sketched simple, single-seat microlight aircraft (not trying to make Part 103 weights, just a gross weight under 300 kg/661 lb) powered by off-the-shelf modern paramotor engines. That implies a pusher design to make the engine installation literally a bolt-on affair.

show 2018.jpg ee1f123337a1e07e6599d5380ffbca42.jpg

It's not hard to imagine a simple canard pusher with the lines of the Ente but in aluminum tube and fabric like Sandlin's designs or the old Superfloater ultralight glider (above), easily adapted to whichever 25+ hp paramotor engine you choose. An adjustable seat and pedals, perhaps even an adjustable control stick, would make it easy to adapt to almost any pilot weight and height.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  2. Nov 7, 2018 #2

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

A black powder rocket launched glider really appeals to my inner mad scientist.

mcrae0104 and fly2kads like this.
  3. Nov 7, 2018 #3

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

4. Nov 8, 2018 #4

Aesquire

Aesquire

Aesquire

5. Nov 8, 2018 #5

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

6. Nov 8, 2018 #6

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

7. Nov 8, 2018 #7

Aesquire

Aesquire

Aesquire

One version, unfortunately not pictured, had a fuselage.

The basic layout is well proven. The 'dactyl is a stable flying wing, and the Ascender versions ideally have no load on the canard at cruise. ( A leisurely 45 mph ) The ladder style bolted wing structure and sewn sailcloth covering is designed for compact folding, & fits nicely in & on a minivan.

An original design inspired by the Ente using Sandlin style construction should work nicely.

cluttonfred likes this.
  8. Nov 8, 2018 #8

Aesquire

Aesquire

Aesquire

Dihedral in the wing, plus tip drag rudders, should give acceptable 2 axis control. Or go full 3 axis with ailerons, tip rudders & canard. I like the idea of using a stock paramotor power package. With a quick mounting arrangement, you could bring it home for security & weather protection.

9. Nov 8, 2018 #9

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

I found this one pic of the Pterodactyl Ptiger with a fuselage pod.

Ptiger01.jpg

And as I mentioned in Erkki's Canard birds thread, the Waspair Tomcat also comes to mind though it's canard-only control system was problematic.

Tomcat 1. Flug 1983- 0.jpg

I would actually prefer a true canard configuration in which the canard is always carrying some load for predictable handling. A fuselage like the Ente, a straight wing on V-struts/vertical stabilzers like the Tomcat, a little Ptiger spirit, and conventional 3-axis controls is the combination that appeals to me, perhaps with rudders on the V-struts.

10. Nov 8, 2018 #10

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

Hey Cluttonfred,

How about a 1:1 scale version of the Gee Bee Model Q Ascender. Even the Aeronca engine could be swapped out for a Pegasus DP-1. I was looking into this design pretty seriously as a plans build aircraft as it could be my only chance to fly a Granville aircraft. Albeit more docile than their others... :) There are some videos of it on youtube. It had a steering wheel like a Curtis pusher but for roll the wheel tilted side to side. I figured I could use a modified version of the skylite wings and a pop rivet fuselage similar to a texas parasol. For simplicity sake I was looking at struts over wire bracing...

28-2.jpg 28-4.jpg

So is it Fugly or just Fugly enough to be cute... I cant decide...

11. Nov 8, 2018 #11

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Ummm....do I have to answer that? ;-) I love the old movie clip about it on YouTube, though. I'm from New England so it's fun to hear a real Maine accent from back in the day.

I do like the idea of using Skylite wings complete with the reverse-taper, full-span ailerons. A small welded 4130 tube fuselage pod could tie the wing/motor/gear/cockpit together for crash protection with aluminum tubes to form the pointy Ente nose.

skylite.jpg

12. Nov 8, 2018 #12

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

Hey CluttonFred,

I just finished the website last night where I will have the Skylite and Lil Bitts plans offered. All the content is there and done, I just need a few more tweaks and check everything before I turn off the under construction... I am hoping to launch it this weekend sometime just before my 47th birthday... :) When I do I will post on HBA wit the Website address...

When I refer to skylite wings, I am more referring to the build scheme. They are so simple that type of construction modified to other planforms as needed can make a myriad of aircraft.

cluttonfred likes this.
  13. Nov 9, 2018 #13

Norman

Norman

Norman

Sugar rockets then. Cheaper than black powder and they smoke like a weed fire.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Aerowerx likes this.
  14. Nov 9, 2018 #14

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Yes, but think of the fun you would have chasing all those P-51 replicas!:grin:

Not to mention the rubber flight suite you have to wear!:gig:

15. Nov 9, 2018 #15

Aesquire

Aesquire

Aesquire

Off topic..... But a Me-163b in "stand back a bit scale" in fabric covered construction, with a paramotor pack that "plugs into" the rocket motor location for flight, then removed, with a fake rocket nozzle, for display..... Might be a viable pt103 project.

Foundationer likes this.
  16. Nov 9, 2018 #16

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

Look up the Me163a (anton) it would be even better than the B model. Its more sailplane like than a football of the B model...

2908b455aaa44a5aa38fe54a6b685330.jpg

17. Nov 12, 2018 #17

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

The Gee Bee Model Q Ascender illustrates a classic balance problem with canards: if you want to load the canard (in cruise) you need to mount the engine well forward.
    Amusing how they mounted the propeller ahead of the cockpit and above the nose boom!
    Its loss in a flat-spin suggests that the C. of G. was still too far aft.
    That is why most pusher canards (Rutan) have main wings swept back ....... to move the engine - and centre of gravity - far enough forward to load the canard.