Micro Mong challenge accepted.?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

So after being thoroughly discouraged with the backwards momentum of my Pitts s1c project, I changed my energy direction for a bit.

I picked up a Micro Mong (locally) with a lot done to it.

I will make the improvement to change it to the"2xf" up grades from original. My only source is the u-tube video for the Micro Mong 2xf part #1.Unfortunatly I'm unable to find a part #2 video.
If anyone has the actual improvements (on paper) of the Micro Mong 2xf I would love to talk.

Im restricting my search for an engine to a Four stroke. Leaning to a 1/2 vw.

If anyone has experience with the Micro Mong and can share I would love to be enlightened. There's just simply not a lot of factual stats out there of this EAB built and flown.

TFF

I know there is a build thread of a Lil’ Bitts on the biplane forum. Same designer. I think it’s pretty much same plane, different shape. The owner of some of his designs is on HBA. It’s pretty small. There was a project at Oshkosh one year and I was almost stuck it in the back of my truck and drove home.

Yep,
I'll be posting there next. It's a neat design. If I can convert to the Lil Bitts without cutting the fuse in half and rebuilding the wings I will.
It's a matter of seeing the two sets of plans side by side.
I think I read somewhere the Lil Bitts is longer in the fuselage.

TFF

I doubt it could be shorter. The Mong is a cool plane and designer of the Micro owns the rights to the regular Mong. A longer fuselage doesn’t hurt, but keeping it a Mong would be cool. Lots of Pitts now have straight wing tips and most wouldn’t know the difference anyway.

MadProfessor8138

My only source is the u-tube video for the Micro Mong 2xf part #1.Unfortunatly I'm unable to find a part #2 video.
I just took a look at the YouTube video and can probably explain why part #2 video is missing.
The part #1 video was posted by Gerald Olenik from Green Sky Adventures 7 years ago.
Sadly,Gerald passed away a couole of years ago........

Kevin

Tiger Tim

I’ve always liked the looks of the Micro Mong but was never big on the two stroke that powered it. IIRC it’s actually bigger than a Mong Sport.

GeeZee

Yep,
I'll be posting there next. It's a neat design. If I can convert to the Lil Bitts without cutting the fuse in half and rebuilding the wings I will.
It's a matter of seeing the two sets of plans side by side.
I think I read somewhere the Lil Bitts is longer in the fuselage.
I’ve got Bitts plans. Something to keep in mind is the Bitts is stressed for aerobatics but the micro mong was originally a non aerobatic part 103 ultralight. I have Skylite plans as well. It may be built similar to the MM. The Bitts uses 5/8 x .035 longerons while the Skylite uses 1/2 x .035 longerons With 3/8 x .035 diagonals. Also the Bitts can accommodate 150 lbs firewall forward. That would be way to much for a MM. So changing the look of a MM to look like a Pitts/ Bitts would be doable, you wouldn’t have a Bitts. I really like the MM and would have plans If they were still available. I seem to find myself collecting Ed’s designs…

So after being thoroughly discouraged with the backwards momentum of my Pitts s1c project, I changed my energy direction for a bit.

I picked up a Micro Mong (locally) with a lot done to it.

I will make the improvement to change it to the"2xf" up grades from original. My only source is the u-tube video for the Micro Mong 2xf part #1.Unfortunatly I'm unable to find a part #2 video.
If anyone has the actual improvements (on paper) of the Micro Mong 2xf I would love to talk.

Im restricting my search for an engine to a Four stroke. Leaning to a 1/2 vw.

If anyone has experience with the Micro Mong and can share I would love to be enlightened. There's just simply not a lot of factual stats out there of this EAB built and flown.
I think you sent me a message on the biplane forum but I am out of town on vacation so my ability to get online has been spotty. Anyhow, I may as well reply here. Sadly Green Sky Aviation owns the rights to the Micro Mong and since the owner passed away they have been hard to get a hold of. I reached out to the son about listing the plans on my website and all proceeds would still go to them but they were not interested. I was hoping to keep the design from falling into obscurity. They also own the zippy sport which is what I really want plans of myself. The Zipster may be close in general design to the Micro Mong and plans can be found online. I may have a set on a drive at home if your willing to wait or I know other HBA members also have the plans. With Hart out of aviation and the fact he never paid Ed for the rights or returned his original Velums in my mind that is fair game to make it open source to keep it alive.

I return 11/02 and if you need help or have any questions I will be more available, but as I said, I dont know much about the Micro Mong and can only infer from other designs by Ed since all are a variation of a similar theme.

Take care,

Marc

Wow! Thanks for the response guys! I have been away from the web sight for a bit. Real life getting in the way.

Turns out the original builder has done some slight Mods to the wing tips to make it more to his style.
He went with the clipped wings. The wing on the left is the Pitts wing for comparison.

For the benefit of getting into the air sooner I'll keep the design as is. I will make some of the simple reinforcements as done on the MM2xf.
Chris, I would love to use an HKS engine on it but my budget for this plane is leaning more towards a 1/2 vw used
Marc I did message you on BPF thank you for getting back to me. Enjoy your time off!

Well back to it. I"ll post some stuff when I think its worthy of it.

Again thank you all for your input.

Attachments

• tempImageNESrrJ.png
    tempImageNESrrJ.png
    13.9 MB · Views: 1