Michael Roodt Sunbird Parasol

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

pylon500

A friend was looking to buy this a few years back (here in Australia), and I think the story went; it was designed and built in South Africa, or, designed and built in Australia by a South African that moved here.
Seemed to be well finished, but that's all I know.

Doran Jaffas

View attachment 126683
I’ve found this little critter, it seams to be powered by a BMW R100 and the fuselage seams to be riveted tubing assembly? Are there any sources for plans available?
rgds Erkki

Never seen one of these. Sweet little airplane! Let me know if you'd like to sell it! I'm in mid Michigan. Again for sure it is a sweet little bird.

WBNH

Aesthetically a lot like an Ace...but I wouldn't be surprised if it were a lot of Texas Parasol under the skin. Perhaps something of a refined, two place, marriage of Texas Parasol and Acey Deucy? Would like to see construction pics.

challenger_II

For good reason. Chuck Beeson, the designer of the Chuckbird (aka Texas Parasol), based the design on the Corben Baby Ace, re-imagined in aluminum angle fuse/Aluminum tube ladder wing as an airframe reasonably easy for the amateur with minimal tools to build in his workshop, and use a relatively small powerplant (designed around the Xenoah G34BW 40hp two-stroke. The hotrod variant used the G44BW of 50hp). Later variants used the 1600cc, and 1835cc VW's.

Last edited: