Miata

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

wiloows5050

Log Member
Has anyone heard of or seen plans for a conversioin of a Miata engine for homebuilt use? I'm trying to find a light weight engine 100 -150 hp to hang on my Fokker DVII project.

jumpinjan

You need a light weight engine in your Fok D.VII??? The original 185hp BMW is about 650 lbs, maybe more. With that weight budget, you could use a 300ci Ford I6 truck engine & some lead bars? Am I wrong?
Jan

wiloows5050

Log Member
The total gross weight of the DVII is around 500 - 550 lbs. I'm looking at an engine under 200 lbs.

jumpinjan

Oh, you're building a Baslee 80% Fok D7 too? One of my friends is using a belt-drive VW in his D7 and another friend is thinking of using the grear-drive Geo in his D7. I think its a Geo 4-cylinder version.
Jan
PS I don't think you can build one at 550, think more like 600-700

Last edited:

wiloows5050

Log Member
Your probably right about the weight. I'm planning on using an airtrike redrive. I'm looking at a earlier 90's miada to try and cut the weight.

Canadian_JOY

Why a Miata engine? That inline, liquid cooled 4 cyl engine is not in any way light. I could see you going to a Mazda rotary for this project in order to save weight, but not an in-line 4 with associated heavy cooling.

Of note, a Corvair engine will be about 230lbs installed. That might be a better alternative, and will make a very honest 100hp.

jumpinjan

To keep the Fokker's original appearance as much as possible, he wants an inline engine and not the opposed engines (and he needs to run a gearbox).
Jan