Meyers 200 Structure

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

RJW

Anybody have any complaints/comments/praise for the Meyers 200 structure? Particularly the steel center spar? A quick look on the web returns how sturdy and efficient the structure is—nothing negative. I’m wondering how the spar was built. Welding trusses with very short members as is found in this structure is generally a no-no. Perhaps the spar was treated after welding? Comments?

Thanks,
Rob

M 200 C.jpgM 200 A.jpgM 200 B.jpg

bmcj

HBA Supporter
If you can get hold of Lance Neibauer (designer of the Lancair line of aircraft), he might be able to shed some light on the issue of the welded spar (his uncle worked for Meyers).

I think, too, that the Dyke Delta uses a welded truss spar.

Rick McWilliams

I fly a Zlin 242. The spar center section is welded tubular structure. There are large top and bottom tubes with a lattice of smaller tubes for shear. The spar tubes are pressurized with nitrogen and a guage in the cockpit. If a weld cracks the pressure dimishes. The Zlin is certified in acrobatic standard and utility category.

cheapracer

Log Member
Rob, this is one of the things that "I do", ie; chassis, and my opinion is it's actually a little over engineered but in a very good way.