Metrology tools. Decent quality, not too pricey?

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by pictsidhe, Jul 29, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 29, 2019 #1

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I'm looking for some metrology tools. Up to now I've just used Horror Fright stuff. Well, my HF digital verniers are 0.4% absolute accuracy. I haven't checked the linearity etc... OK for crude measurements and comparison, but useless if I'm trying to build to a reasonable spec. I have found decent performance/price Chinese stuff in the UK, but don't know where to shop in the US for that. I could buy Brown and Sharpe, but I don't really want to pay for it. I'd like something 75% as good for 1/4 the price.

Don't worry, I'll be keeping HF plastic calipers kicking around. I don't get very upset when they have an accident. Or they are the only tool on hand to break into my truck when I lock the keys inside...

2. Jul 29, 2019 #2

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

MSCdirect.com

3. Jul 29, 2019 #3

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

lakeracer69

Get something good and don't look back. Buy once, cry once. Mitutoyo , B & S, Starrett, etc. Digital or dial, whatever floats your boat.

Beware of import copies ( yes, that is a thing in todays world).

4. Jul 30, 2019 #4

deskpilot

deskpilot

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
    If you want accuracy, don't buy plastic. as a 20 year metrologist, I'd recommend Mitutoyo, not too pricey.

5. Jul 30, 2019 #5

akwrencher

akwrencher

akwrencher

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Also, I have found good quality older tools on eBay for reasonable prices. Occasionally I prefer to buy used quality vs cheep new. Just another option.

6. Jul 30, 2019 #6

Aesquire

Aesquire

Aesquire

Brown & Sharpe and Starrett are the gold standard. In an industrial town, there may be a Starrett dealer who works out of a truck and circulates the machine shops in the area, just as Mac and Snap-on circulate between the car and truck repair shops.

But for value and accuracy, Mitutoyo. Their electronic calipers are top notch. Trustworthy.

I've been a precision machinist, metrology lab tech, and quality control grunt to management.

7. Jul 30, 2019 #7

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

I think what you want are measuring tools, lol. MSC sells Fowler brand and I've had some Fowler tools that were acquired back in the 70's when I trained and worked as a machinist. Still have them and they still work fine. Besides, a machinist never blames his tools when something doesn't fit.

8. Jul 30, 2019 #8

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Brown and Sharpe has not been an american owned company for many years now. Starrett tools are mostly produced overseas. Even Harbor Freight tools have a lifetime warranty. If something breaks, take it back and they will go out on the floor, open a set and replace what you need. Then they will sell the open set at 50% off. I usually go back a few days later and buy the rest of the set!

9. Jul 30, 2019 #9

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I owned a few misc British dial gauges in the UK. My cheapish Chinese verniers and mic impressed me. They worked just fine, but not quite so slickly as my father's Brown and Sharpe stuff. Horror Fright has introduced me to not-fine Chinese tools. Some of their stuff is useable, but little is particularly good. Half the trouble with Chinese stuff is that is rarely branded. It's hard buying the same stuff twice. Your supplier may have switched to a cheaper supplier...

10. Jul 30, 2019 #10

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

I hate to say it, but one can not be a leader in manufacturing in the world without good tools.....The Chinese have some real junk and some really good stuff here. I have had Irwin brand bits that were absolute junk, and an ugly Chinese mikecrometer that is very good. Step up from horror freight to MSC or McMasters and you probably will get what you need.