Metal primer paint

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by ZENO, Mar 2, 2006.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 2, 2006 #1

ZENO

ZENO

ZENO

Hey, I'm looking for something to primer metal parts without going to zinc chromate.

I want something for the frame that I can shoot myself from hvlp and not a 2 part paint, but is good to stick fabric on.

Does such a thing exists?

ZENO

2. Mar 2, 2006 #2

Craig

Craig

Craig

Metal Primer

Zeno, I've had the best success with PolyFiber's two-part epoxy. Yes, it is two part, but very user friendly. Comes in green or yellow (yucky color!)

The problem with most other paints is that the MEK and toluene in the fabric adhesive and coatings will soften the underlying paint - something you really DON'T want to happen!

The elevator that I recently made and covered for a friend was primed with a supposed "epoxy" two-part paint. We installed it after priming, to check fit, etc. Got some grease on it from the hinge pins.

Well, I went to wipe it down with MEK prior to starting covering - the stuff wiped right off! He was kinda PO'd when I told him to sandblast the whole thing, and prime it correctly, but I told him he would be even more PO'd when the fabric peeled off while flying.

Use a good quality primer, and test it for compatibility.

3. Mar 3, 2006 #3

Captain_John

Captain_John

Captain_John

Hey ZENO!

I really like DuPont VariPrime. It too is a 2 part paint, but not an epoxy. It has no "kick" time and a 24 hour (I think) potlife.

I am looking into the DuPont Nason line also. You can get them at CarQuest, Rainbow Paint Supply and Allied in Brockton, MA.

:D CJ

4. Mar 3, 2006 #4

jumpinjan

jumpinjan

jumpinjan

The main player here is epoxy primer and just about no other material that provides the superior mechanical hold and sealing properties to not just metal, but most all surfaces. Epoxy does not have the toxic activator (isocynates), so you don't need a full body suit & fresh air supply (just a respirator) so this makes it very easy & safe for the do-it-yourselfer. Just about all the solvent based primers (including the rattle cans of zinc chromate) will liquify when fabric cement is applied, as mentioned.
    Capt John - I'm not sure, but I think VariPrime is solvent based. There are 2 containers, but it is not an activator/hardener polymer, it is 1) a vehicle (solvent based resin) and 2) an acid (phosphate acid). I'm pretty sure about that.
    Jan

5. Mar 3, 2006 #5

ZENO

ZENO

ZENO

Primer

I love this site. Thanks guys.

I think I'll go with Craig in door #1.

Lots of hardware that doesn't have fabric hanging on it I can go with rattle can Zinc. On the wings, the wing bows and the top wing inboard wing bows will have to go with the Poly fiber.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

6. Mar 3, 2006 #6

Craig

Craig

Craig

Fabric

Capt. John has one of those plastic planes - no fabric to glue on, heat shrink, etc. He can use the VariPrime - which is what the MEK was cleaning off those steel tubes the other weekend!

One of these days he'll get a real airplane. 4130 tube. Fabric covered. No lid over his head. Bugs in his teeth 'cause he'll be smiling so much!

At least he won't freeze in the winter flying like I do.