Metal Lathe

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

thjakits

Be aware, that a 10x(whatever) is about the smallest lathe useful for anything. 8x""" and 7x""" is really only good for very small stuff and then you might want to look into something with a name (NOT any mini-lathe).
Check you project - figure out the biggest part you would want to make on a lathe (...include any build and maintenance support gear as well!!) ad 20% and get a lathe of that size (diameter AND length)...

Craigslist, youtube channels!!

thjakits

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I beg to differ, I've made a number of "useful" things on my 6X18 Atlas lathe. Many of us don't have the room for anything bigger.

thjakits

...you always can beg!!
I'd say your ATLAS isn't in the Mini-Lathe class of quality - that would be an insult!
As I said - if you want/need/must use smaller than 10x you would want to look into "something with a name".
I'd say ATLAS is a good name! Another one would be Sherline and EMCO Unimat another.
Though most likely all of these are produced in China by now - they seem to have excellent QC on site...
Definitely a better choice than the rough Mini-Lathes ones....

NOW - this is not to say you cannot MAKE a Mini-Lathe into a worthy tool! Youtube is full of "Clean-up/Repair/Modified/Upgraded/etc..." videos. The one further up can also be used as a guide for smaller machines...

It's just, IF you already go for the machine, might as well go for the biggest you can afford/fit.
The space needed for a 10x36 isn't much bigger than what you need for the Atlas or a Sherline...
[We are still talking Homebuilding an airplane, right?]

IF your intended target projects are Hotwheel or HO-train size, of course you might consider a 10x22 overkill-size....

thjakits