• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Messerschmitt Me-109

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Careca

Hello everybody

I would like to start by saying that this thread is completely apolitical and that I don’t want to start any “war”.

I’ve been a big fan of the Messerschmitt 109 since a long time. Nevertheless every time I read a new article about it I get more confused. The fighter has been described as unpleasant to fly, heavy in commands, less maneuverable than its competition, cramped and with poor visibility, complex, draggy, etc… so how come it was so successful? Let’s not forget that the biggest aces of all time flew mainly the 109 (ex: Erich Hartmann).

It seems that, despite all controversy, the 109 was a victim of several misjudgments and bad propaganda. Maybe this site can help you understanding my opinion:

virtualpilots.fi: 109myths

In order to get some things straight and to know more about the aircraft and its engineering I’m considering buying this book:

Amazon.com: Messerschmitt Bf109 Owners' Workshop Manual: 1935 Onwards (all marks) (Haynes Owners Workshop Manual) (9781844256426): Paul Blackah, Malcolm Lowe: Books

Does anyone have a copy? What is your opinion about it?
Now I would like you to help me finding the right information about the 109, because I think the 109 is a perfect candidate for a 100% replica with something like this in the nose:

RED A03 / V12 | RED aircraft GmbH | RAIKHLIN AIRCRAFT ENGINE DEVELOPMENTS

Being small and nimble, with no armament or armour and with some modern building techniques it would be possible to make a heck of a performer with 500hp!
And let’s be honest… all the Spitfire and Mustang replicas need some “enemy” fighter to tackle with!
Let me know your comments!

Best regards
Careca

Back