• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Merlin Engine Restoration Photo Album.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Kay

Hello Gents; This is a copy of what I just posted on another forum, and I know there are some Merlin enthusiasts here, so here it is. Good Day All; I've been meaning to do this for some time, but I've gotten around to posting some of my Merlin static restoration progress on Flickr. I'll use this as the "master" thread for this project, even though I've started a few others in the past. My Flickr account shows most of the hundreds of Merlin photos I've collected over the years, although I do need to add a bunch more recent pics. What's changed is the album called "Tom's Merlin Parts" and I've uploaded pics of some Merlin replica parts I've made using rapid prototyping (3D printing). These parts have been 3D modeled in CAD, using my favourite 3D software, Rhino, then cut into sections, then printed. The separate parts were glued or screwed together to make an assembly, such as the V-Drive (also called Dual Drive) and the port cylinder block. I'm in the process of 3D modeling the port cylinder head right now, and this is very challenging work for me. Here's the Flickr link; https://www.flickr.com/photos/130143587@N02/albums I'm pretty happy with how the parts turned out, and they'll look even better once painted and perhaps decorated with data plates, screws and locking wire, just like the real parts. My goal was to create parts that would (hopefully) fool even the Merlin guys, such as the inimitable Merlin Pete, whose help with this project has been nothing short of tremendous. Thanks Pete ! I would truly love to get this Merlin running, but there are so many parts missing, that on my budget, this will never happen. So it's a static restoration just for show, which is still proving to be a very enjoyable pastime. I feel pretty lucky having the resources that I do have. So, please feel free to comment, ask questions, or ship random Merlin parts to my location in Ottawa. Cheers, Tom.

Back