Quantcast

Measuring Tiny Quantities of Paint

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
I need to touch up some epoxy primer on a wingtip bow. We're talking maybe 10 square inches of surface. I'd like to use my airbrush on this.

The question is how to accurately measure the small quantities of the two liquids? A pipette is probably the way to go, but I don't have one.

I do have accurate scales, but the epoxy manufacturer (This is the Poly-fiber epoxy primer) doesn't list a "by weight" ratio. Presumably, I could measure out a substantial quantity (6 liquid ounces, say) and weigh those samples to develop a "by weight" ratio to use for small quantities.

Any better ideas?

Himat

Syringes, one for each component.
Around here, the chemist have the smaller sizes, industrial suppliers do have the larger sizes.
As long as you don't need the needles, usually no questions asked.
Clean with alcohol after use or throw away.

cvairwerks

Kyle: Try the local pharmacy for syringes for oral use. If those are too big, then you could probably get a couple of the normal ones for insulin use and just toss the needles. Last resort would be a glass eye dropper from the first aid section.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Any decent agricultural supply store will have syringes that will meet your need. Get a few 18 or 20 gauge needles, and suck the epoxy components into the syringes without getting it all over the syringe.

BJC

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would use the 1oz mixing cups commonly used for epoxy, the same thing you find on Nyquil bottles.

Dana

Eagle

I need to touch up some epoxy primer on a wingtip bow. We're talking maybe 10 square inches of surface. I'd like to use my airbrush on this.

The question is how to accurately measure the small quantities of the two liquids? A pipette is probably the way to go, but I don't have one.

I do have accurate scales, but the epoxy manufacturer (This is the Poly-fiber epoxy primer) doesn't list a "by weight" ratio. Presumably, I could measure out a substantial quantity (6 liquid ounces, say) and weigh those samples to develop a "by weight" ratio to use for small quantities.

Any better ideas?
My concern would be whether the airbrush will spray thicker materials like a primer. Primer spray guns usually use a larger nozzle
to accomodate the higher viscosity of primer. Maybe one of the small and very inexpensive Harbor Freight HVLP guns might work.
I know they do a good job on door jams and other small areas.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I routinely spray small parts with Poly Fiber epoxy primer with my cheap airbrush that I bought about 40 years ago to use on model airplanes. Just add a little extra reducer until it sprays correctly and use a little extra air pressure. I also put any extra primer that I don't use in the freezer. It will be OK to use for about a month.

Dan

Dan Thomas

I do this all the time, and use stainless steel measuring spoons I got at the dollar store. The set cost maybe two bucks. Plastic spoons would get eaten by paint and thinners.

Midniteoyl

Any decent agricultural supply store will have syringes that will meet your need. Get a few 18 or 20 gauge needles, and suck the epoxy components into the syringes without getting it all over the syringe.

BJC
This.. ^^

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
I do this all the time, and use stainless steel measuring spoons I got at the dollar store. The set cost maybe two bucks. Plastic spoons would get eaten by paint and thinners.
As it turned out, this was a horrible idea. The Dollar store didn't have any stainless measuring spoons, but I did come home with numerous bags of jelly-beans, which are the very last thing I need. I blame you. ;-)

Publix, on the other hand, had the spoons.

Midniteoyl

As it turned out, this was a horrible idea. The Dollar store didn't have any stainless measuring spoons, but I did come home with numerous bags of jelly-beans, which are the very last thing I need. I blame you. ;-)

Publix, on the other hand, had the spoons.
Hahahaha.. My weakness there is the Chocolate Chunk cookies and the Orange Slices :)

Rockiedog2

a small straight wall cup(cut the top off of a pill bottle ). mark a small stick at the desired level(use a ruler) for the several ingredients, hold to the inside of the cup wall and pour to the lines. all lines on one stick. or do as somebody said and just eyeball it...using Polyfiber stuff it'll be OK if you're a fair eyeballer

Latest posts