• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

McCulloch 72hp (Mac 72)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisCub

Hello everyone. I'm hoping some of you can help me out with a few things. I picked this engine up yesterday for $500. It looked like a great project and a way to get me into the home built world. I know it's a McCulloch 72hp drone engine. My research on it has come back as being hated and loved. I'm not too concerned that it may not be a durable engine because honestly I don't think I'll fly it much at all. I do enough flying at work. What I'd like to do put this engine on a stand and get it running. Once I've got that done I'd like to pick an airframe and start building a plane (possibly a hummelbird). My first general question is does anyone know the details of this particular engine such as model? I've noticed it's cylinder's are different from all the others I've seen. The spark plugs are not in the center like most are. Is this original? Also what modifications should I plan on doing if any? Different carb? Fuel pumps? The biggest question I have right now is what engine mounts should I use and where can I get them. It has 1 inch mounts. Once I have them I'll weld up an engine stand.

I appreciate the help

View attachment 25641

Back