MC-100 BanBi or Gaz'aile 2?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

TFF

$200,000 aircraft then. Have to keep the ratio correct. Although $40,000 horses are generally more business minded and not toys.

VlJo

Hi, I can probably answer than one as I live in the same town as the designer. As we walked to the hangar when I bought my plans, he said something along these lines "Everybody keep pestering me with a 4 places aircraft but they all fly alone, this is b***s***. They should build a single seater, we could do a little screamer, it would do 300 km/h in cruise, easy"
I kind of remember him saying he had some drawing for a single seat fuselage...
a single seater with 300 crusing - interesting, if it will be a piston wooden DB-5 - it is for me :)
I think the best is to have one single seater and one 4-5-seater - each plane has its own tasks.

simflyer

... As for the birch plywood, it's 30% heavier/stronger than okoume, so if you go down in thickness to compensate (like 1mm instead of 1.2mm), you will have problem with surface warping, especially on the wings. There is other places where it's not a concern though so you can swap, like in the fuselage...
Birch is stronger than 30% to okoume. 1,2mm birch shouldn't have problems with warping. I don't think birch surface is problem.
Look on SD2 plane - also interresting wooden (birch) choice. Let me know about Your meaning. btw. what about KR2S ?

Tom Busey

I'm looking for more information on the Gaz'aile 2. Apparently there are 5 in the USA. Does anyone know how to find these owners in the FAA database?

I feel like if I could solve the plywood problem I could manage this build.

Geraldc

There are now 65 Gazaile 2 flying according to Facebook page.Not bad for plans built.

howardyin

Hi VIJo
I am 60% through building a Gazaile.
Plywood is Okoume.
5 sheets 1.2mm
4 sheets 1.6mm
3 sheets 2mm
1 sheet 2.5mm
1 sheet 18mm
When you buy your plans you can join a constructors group and buy all metal parts ,carbon spar caps ,blown canopy
and belt reduction unit for motor.
Molds for making parts are available for hire in France.
what‘’s the sheet size?

sming

Gosh, I redrew the 90cm cord wing in fusion360 and I can't remember. I know there is a "Pennec 16%" in the plans, and to me, it looks like a tuned 64 series. I'll check later.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Gosh, I redrew the 90cm cord wing in fusion360 and I can't remember. I know there is a "Pennec 16%" in the plans, and to me, it looks like a tuned 64 series. I'll check later.
Thanks for any info. IIRC, markproa mentioned it was a laminar airfoil.

dlkjrice

I just went through all the plan pages and nowhere does it specifically say what airfoil, other then it's laminar that I can find. It's tough because everythings in French and has to be translated!

sming

There is 2 .dat file in the plans, one is "cotes du profil fichier word pennec 64-3-16.dat" so it's based on a NACA 64 series. Airfoiltools.com says "Max thickness 16% at 36.9% chord. Max camber 2.5% at 45.7% chord"
I feel your pain with the plans! I've wanted for a long time organize a wiki to focus the translation effort in one place for you non-french speaking guys, but it's not my call unfortunately.

Markproa

Can anyone chime in with info on the airfoil used for the Gazaille 2 wing? The plane isn't included in the Lednicer "Incomplete Guide to Airfoil Usage (too recent?)
There are two wing choices, one for the Euro ULM catagory and and one for the "avion". The latter is smaller all around and uses flaperons. I don't think Serge defines (names) either of the sections.