Mazda Rotary Engine

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Billrsv4

The Hatch/Beckham engine was leased to the RV3 owner for a dollar and he took credit for it and won several awards. Hatch was killed while flying in a non engine related crash. Beckham his friend and partner for many years was so broken up by his loss that he sold the company to the Wisconsin based company. They took the product of their work and did some good things, and some bad things to it. They were well meaning but the price got too high for a typical kit builder. At least not enough buyers. If you want to sell alternative engines. You MUST price them below Lycomings! At least IMHO
BILL
As info for everyone. The “Superlite” engine was so changed that it couldn’t even be considered a Mazda product anymore. It was an all out attempt to really make a rotary AIRCRAFT engine. They made their own aluminum side plates, cast their own housing for their own planetary reduction gear, and did a new eccentric shaft with an integrated prendlous damper to stop torsional vibration. It was a thing to behold and worked perfectly. It would idle at under 1000 ENGINE RPM. overall the work was stunning. But it cost too much. I confer with Steve Beckham regularly and I have told him that I believe if they had continued with the superlite it would be a common alternative today. A great loss to Experimental Aviation.
Bill

AIRCAB

AIRCAB, I believe that the Superlight Engine was much more than just lighter and AT THE TIME it cost more than the partners thought would be palatable to customers wanting a cheaper engine than the 'then' current crop of Aircraft engines. Personally I think they would have sold reasonably well anyway. The Aluminium housings had to be treated for wear, which is still expensive. New technology can reduce weight, but currently still very expensive.
George
Yes George. The reason for its light weight was the oven brazed steel center and end housing's

Steve

AIRCAB

Yes George. The reason for its light weight was the oven brazed steel center and end housing's

Steve
I should clarify that my investigation shows that the center iron, may have been converted to oven brazed steel. My source never mentioned the end housings directly. He viewed them closely at a display table. Is there anyone here that can clarify that ?
Steve

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Did Racing Beat stop making/selling aluminum housings for the 13B? I see housings listed on their site, but they don't say what they are made of.

AIRCAB

They sold at one time cast alu, with a coating. I think the aussie with cnc billet with cast iron inserts forced them out of the market.
Steve

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Here is a link to a successful one rotor build
I know that naturally aspirated single rotor 13B's (6.5 B's?) have flown, but they aren't quite as attractive from a HP/LB perspective as a twin rotor. The single requires a large counterweight, the case still requires two endplates and a rotor housing (a twin rotor would be just one light intermediate housing and another rotor housing additional for double the power). Fewer pulses per rev of the eccentric shaft = less smooth. I suppose a single might still be competitive with a piston engine in HP/LB.

AIRCAB

I know that naturally aspirated single rotor 13B's (6.5 B's?) have flown, but they aren't quite as attractive from a HP/LB perspective as a twin rotor. The single requires a large counterweight, the case still requires two endplates and a rotor housing (a twin rotor would be just one light intermediate housing and another rotor housing additional for double the power). Fewer pulses per rev of the eccentric shaft = less smooth. I suppose a single might still be competitive with a piston engine in HP/LB.
Yes, most of those with interest in Wankels know that, this one rotor was built for street, not aviation. 2 piece alu aussie end plates change that weight issue.

Lendo

AIRCAB and others, The Aussie made Al. with Cast Iron wear plate, is a local chap. I visited his work shop. He does wonderful work but mostly for Racing. Last time I spoke to him he wasn't getting the feed back on longevity from users of his product, so I can't comment on this aspect and their bloody expensive IMHO. The weight in the Steel plate 6mm thick is still heavy. I did an exercise of cutting out a 6mm plate in a cast iron housing to gauge the weight savings in an AL housing and wasn't impressed.
The Oven brazed housings were a great idea, but again expensive.
The Det-gun Al housing were also a great idea, but expensive.
New technology might be good but also very expensive.
RV7charlie is right, the one Rotor isn't as efficient as the 2 Rotor and doesn't have the rocking couple to help with balance.
George.

AIRCAB

AIRCAB and others, The Aussie made Al. with Cast Iron wear plate, is a local chap. I visited his work shop. He does wonderful work but mostly for Racing. Last time I spoke to him he wasn't getting the feed back on longevity from users of his product, so I can't comment on this aspect and their bloody expensive IMHO. The weight in the Steel plate 6mm thick is still heavy. I did an exercise of cutting out a 6mm plate in a cast iron housing to gauge the weight savings in an AL housing and wasn't impressed.
The Oven brazed housings were a great idea, but again expensive.
The Det-gun Al housing were also a great idea, but expensive.
New technology might be good but also very expensive.
RV7charlie is right, the one Rotor isn't as efficient as the 2 Rotor and doesn't have the rocking couple to help with balance.
George.
There are at least 2 Aussie companys manufacturing new 2 piece alu housings.

Billrsv4

Steve
Only one of the last superlites used the braised housings. Never run thru tests. Now at the EAA museum. For the superlite that they tested with they had done aluminum end plates that they did with coatings. They found the coatings difficult and tricky to apply. They questioned the durability of the coatings. That was why they did the braised steel housings. The intent was that the steel housings could then be nitrided to emulate the standard cast iron housings. Probably the best possible surface for the side plates. Regardless of the plates the engine was amazing. The lightest was 178 pounds lacking only the radiators. Those are going to add some weight but you are looking at a 1 pound per HP engine making over 200hp
Bill

AIRCAB

Only one of the last superlites used the braised housings. Never run thru tests. Now at the EAA museum. For the superlite that they tested with they had done aluminum end plates that they did with coatings. They found the coatings difficult and tricky to apply. They questioned the durability of the coatings. That was why they did the braised steel housings. The intent was that the steel housings could then be nitrided to emulate the standard cast iron housings. Probably the best possible surface for the side plates. Regardless of the plates the engine was amazing. The lightest was 178 pounds lacking only the radiators. Those are going to add some weight but you are looking at a 1 pound per HP engine making over 200hp
Bill
George, yes I am aware of all those features, but thanks.
Steve

Lendo

AIRCAB 2 companies, well one is in Queensland South of Brisbane, who is the other one?
I didn't wish to imply you were involved with the Videos, just don't know who made them.
George

rv6ejguy

HBA Supporter
Powersport Aviation makes a cryptic statement here and then bugs out and disappears. What's up? Are you selling engine packages now or not?