Mazda Rotary Engine

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Armilite

I'm sure that there are many on HBA that would like to see a Light 100hp to over 200hp Rotary Engine development, with reliable PSRU from either Raytech or other associated developer.
However we need transparency of what's available, not just statements claiming their Powersport. We need all the details, what it consists of in terms of configuration, weight and pricing. There are people on HBA that are very knowledgeable on what constitutes the latest in innovation for the Rotary engine and I'm lucky to be in contact with some of them, but I can't discuss IP developments.
George
======================

Atkins Rotary made the Light Weight Housings and many of the HD Racing parts for them. You still need to get rid of all the Car Junk to cut down the Weight. Today, there are Billet Gear Drives with Adapter Plates that can handle the Rotary hp/rpm these can be turned. 7000rpm was stock in my RX7, the motor is good for 10,000rpm, it's the accessories that set the Redline.

Mazda 13BREW Engine, NEW
$5,399.99

PSRU Gear Drive.jpg

rv7charlie

The smallest engine would be the 100 HP Rotax 912 in the RV12, which makes up a very small percentage of the fleet at this time. I'm having a really hard time figuring out how the total number of manufacturers who managed to get their name in Kitplanes over the years (all it takes is emailing some kind of info pack to the mag) has any bearing whatsoever on the number flying, either in total or by manufacturer. By that logic, there are effectively only two certified engine mfgrs in the US, so there are almost no engines flying. Or, since technically, there are other engine mfgrs, each one has the same production volume as Lyc or Cont.

Billrsv4

Powersport Aviation: “The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated”
So you guys are giving it another go? Are you going to sell Reduction Drives? Or just complete packages? When was the last engine delivered? Why not sell the Beckham/Hatch MECHANICAL FI and electronic ignition? That was the engine that they developed the 200 HP engine with. Every time someone starts down the rotary path they try and re-invent the wheel. The ENGINE rarely has a problem, the add-ons frequently seem to. There are several available EMS systems already available for the rotary why does everyone want to do another themselves?

Billrsv4

OK guys here is the engine I was talking about. It uses a simple electronic ignition, Mechanical aircraft fuel injection and makes 200 HP. Why not sell this one?

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
That photo says 700 aircraft, not "750+ Airframe [sic] manufacturers."

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Last edited:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Since every builder of an E-AB is, according to the FAA, the manufacturer . . .

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Looks like more than a thousand kit companies if also including the plans sellers listed in the over 300 page catalog.

AIRCAB

So you guys are giving it another go? Are you going to sell Reduction Drives? Or just complete packages? When was the last engine delivered? Why not sell the Beckham/Hatch MECHANICAL FI and electronic ignition? That was the engine that they developed the 200 HP engine with. Every time someone starts down the rotary path they try and re-invent the wheel. The ENGINE rarely has a problem, the add-ons frequently seem to. There are several available EMS systems already available for the rotary why does everyone want to do another themselves?
I prefer the "SuperLite" version of the PowerSport engines.

AIRCAB

======================

Atkins Rotary made the Light Weight Housings and many of the HD Racing parts for them. You still need to get rid of all the Car Junk to cut down the Weight. Today, there are Billet Gear Drives with Adapter Plates that can handle the Rotary hp/rpm these can be turned. 7000rpm was stock in my RX7, the motor is good for 10,000rpm, it's the accessories that set the Redline.

Mazda 13BREW Engine, NEW
$5,399.99

View attachment 106036
This surprises me, as I tried to order complete engines like this, and was told the only way to obtain them was through Mazda Motorsports affiliate, and are not for resale to the general public. That is why they are so reasonably priced. Can anybody clarify this source.

AIRCAB

Well, good to see the back and forth here on this. I disagree with the idea that dependability is an issue. A poorly designed or cobbled together PSRU may not be dependable, but that is the fault of the designer or cobbler. We have had absolutely no issues with our PSRU at all, and have now 20 years of flying it. Weight is only an issue if you try to put the engine in an airframe not designed for that weight. Our total installed weight is 325 lbs. If anyone wants real information just contact me and I will answer questions. [email protected]
Steve, whatever happened to Everett,s SuperLite powered RV4 ?

Lendo

AIRCAB, I believe that the Superlight Engine was much more than just lighter and AT THE TIME it cost more than the partners thought would be palatable to customers wanting a cheaper engine than the 'then' current crop of Aircraft engines. Personally I think they would have sold reasonably well anyway. The Aluminium housings had to be treated for wear, which is still expensive. New technology can reduce weight, but currently still very expensive.
George

Billrsv4

Steve, whatever happened to Everett,s SuperLite powered RV4 ?
The Hatch/Beckham engine was leased to the RV3 owner for a dollar and he took credit for it and won several awards. Hatch was killed while flying in a non engine related crash. Beckham his friend and partner for many years was so broken up by his loss that he sold the company to the Wisconsin based company. They took the product of their work and did some good things, and some bad things to it. They were well meaning but the price got too high for a typical kit builder. At least not enough buyers. If you want to sell alternative engines. You MUST price them below Lycomings! At least IMHO
BILL

rv7charlie

The Hatch/Beckham engine was leased to the RV3 owner for a dollar and he took credit for it and won several awards. Hatch was killed while flying in a non engine related crash. Beckham his friend and partner for many years was so broken up by his loss that he sold the company to the Wisconsin based company. They took the product of their work and did some good things, and some bad things to it. They were well meaning but the price got too high for a typical kit builder. At least not enough buyers. If you want to sell alternative engines. You MUST price them below Lycomings! At least IMHO
BILL
Post #68 :)