Mazda 20B

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Lucrum

Log Member
Make **** sure you have the little apex triangle seated in place. Load them up with vasaline to keep them in place, or at least prevent from shooting across the floor.
Thanks Bob, I am using petroleum jelly on the side seals and a rubber band on the apex seals. I'm using Bruce Turrentine's DVD.

More progress, hope to be finished with the block later today.

Attachments

Lucrum

Log Member
Didn't get to finish the block, I tore a combustion o-ring and have to get a replacement before continuing.

Attachments

Lucrum

Log Member
Got the o-ring then ran out of Hylomar. I spend more time searching/waiting for parts and supplies than anything else.

Anyway I'm ready to flip the block, install the oil pump and front cover. Then I can start accessorizing.

Attachments

Lucrum

Log Member
After much deliberation and searching for the right combination of water pump and pulleys I finally have the WP and alternator on the engine. Tracy Crook promised my EC3 would be ready the 3rd week in March. I hope he didn't mean March 2011.

I also completed an engine hoist on the cheap.

Attachments

WonderousMountain

I can. Have an aluminum forge, could caste a piece fairly close to the original manifold or we could go with something a little more original. 100% stock reproductions are difficult to promise. Pretty much anything can be done here.

What would you like?

Wonderous Mountain

Lucrum

Log Member
Looking good! What are you going to put it in?
Initially a test stand, literally. What I'd like to do involves the ill advised and troublesome longer than "normal" drive shaft. So I plan on testing the propulsion system before committing let alone starting construction on the airframe. I'm using wood core blades and a light stiff carbon shaft in an effort to give it the most potential for success.
I hope to be running the engine some time this summer.

Spent today fabricating an aluminum mount for the ignition coils and ordering my wiring harnesses. Even spent an extra 20 minutes on the band saw removing unused corner material saving me all of 20 grams of weight. (Does that make me a bad person? LOL)

Attachments

Bob Mears

BTW, if it helps, RX8 drive shafts are carbon fiber. You might pick up a used one reasonable that might help your project. As a matter of fact, the u-joints aren't replaceable, so when the Mazda dealer replaces u-joints, it includes a drive shaft, and we just throw the old one away. So get buddy buddy with your local Mazda dealer and you should get a freebie if you can use one.

orion

Interesting - I wonder if it would be feasible to take the old carbon shaft and cut it, replacing the end with a custom machined U-joint housing. Might be worthwhile getting a hold of one of those and doing a bit of exploratory cutting to see how the baseline design is configured and whether a new piece could be made to match the structural requirements.

Lucrum

Log Member
The guy that was going to do my wiring harnesses, Bob White, died several months ago. I'll be doing the wiring myself which is going to delay me running the engine. I pretty much have the exhaust header and turbo layout set and hope to get the pipes and collector fabricated next month or so.

Lucrum

Log Member
I finally finished the engine wiring harness last night. Like pretty much everything else it took longer than I would have thought.

Starman

Nice! A poor man's substitute for a turboprop :ban: I didn't know you could efficiently stack rotors like that due to crankshaft design.

Do you think the crankshaft is strong enough to handle the torsion and/or torsional vibration from six rotors?

Kristoffon

There are inline six cylinder engines doing over 1000 hp I see no reason a special crankshaft can't be made for the Wankel to take that power.

Starman

Can a six rotor crankshaft be made in one piece and still allow assembly of the engine, or must the crankshaft be made in pieces and bolted together during assembly?

I was thinking, if it was easy (one pc crankshaft) that there would be a lot more six rotor wankels out there after all these years, but I don't see any that appear to be operational, like on youtube. So ... I think there's a problem.

Last edited:

Bob Mears

Actually the crank would not survive with just a bearing at each end, but the crank could be built, as a 20B and just continue stacking on the rotors. there are some 4 rotors out there, and some single-stack as many as you want- kits out there, and right now even some all aluminum rotaries being built. But at this stage of the game they are very expensive. But with time these are going to be some real kick ass airplane engines.

oneturboneeded

Hi guys right now im planning an all aluminum p-ported turbocharged rotary for my cozy IV at little over 400 hp and lighter than a 540.It should scoot.

Group Builder