Maybe the best UL wing design ?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

skyguynca

HBA Supporter
sorry but not for sale. I will build both as time allows to pass on to my kids. Fun to fly on 26hp, great simple motorgliders

[email protected]

HBA Supporter
Yes I have thousands of Honcho wing components. Will sell as a lot, West coast only as buyer must review components and remove. I will not load or handle. Located in Madera,CA near Fresno. Do not expect immediate answer as I may be traveling. Great
for ultralight start up company. Wing kits have been utilized in several makes of ultra-lights. Email as I am very very hard of hearing. What did you say. Jerry

Fiberglassworker

I think that would have been the BJ-1 Duster, which was all wood.
I don't think so the BJ-1 duster was designed by Thor Jansen and had nothing to do with Volmer Jensen. The metal aircraft Volmer designed was the VJ 24 Sunfun which was later fitted with an engine and became an ultralight flying under part 103.

skyguynca

HBA Supporter
Who owns the rights to the Honcho and Nomad?
No one, everyone associated with the orifinal company sold off all parts and such, Jerry has the tooling and yes thousands of parts but no kits.
Every piece of paper on them such as copy rights and all have long expired and the original people have long since passed.

That is what is sad that the older and much better designs from the hay day of ultralights have just disapeared with the copy rights, plans and knowledge lost. Scott Perkins tried to preserve as much as he could, what a great effort it was then something happened to his server hosting it all.......Scott is still around and still has the best collections of knowledge....

David

TLAR

Banned
Thanks a lot David.
I am just learning about the design thanks to you, and it doesn’t take much time studying the plans to realize it is superior to pretty much everything else in that style of plane.
Love the wing.

skyguynca

HBA Supporter
yes it is, but having those kits shows you there are alot of special tooling needed to make the ribs and a few other parts, all the others can easily fabricated by hand.

TLAR

Banned
I am still learning about the design and will take me a bit to catch up to speed

Gregory Perkins

I don't think so, the BJ-1 duster was designed by Thor Jansen and had nothing to do with Volmer Jensen. The metal aircraft Volmer designed was the VJ 24 Sunfun which was later fitted with an engine and became an ultralight flying under part 103.
The DSK company (Delta Sailplane Kit) was involved with the BJ-1 Duster before it expanded its product line and additionally began to kit Volmers VJ-24 hang glider while also producing a landing gear and motor propulsion kit as supplemental upgrades. The way the Honcho and Nomad came into existence was that they wanted Volmer to adopt their suggested improvements in design and Volmer refused. So DSK company said screw you and we are dropping the Volmer kits and will begin to sell our own Nomad and Honcho designs. Rod Gage was the owner of DSK at the time. The VJ-24 design is most apparent in the tail feathers of the Nomad and Honcho as they seem identical in design. Rod's idea was to sell the wings in volumes to other ultralight companies since he had spent heavily to create the factory tooling. I have some of DSK's marketing literature from before and after they parted ways with Volmer. One of the early propulsion systems for the VJ-24 involved a vertical shaft lawn mower 4 cycle engine driving two counter rotating props via belts much like the Wright Bros. layout.

[email protected]

HBA Supporter
The DSK company (Delta Sailplane Kit) was involved with the BJ-1 Duster before it expanded its product line and additionally began to kit Volmers VJ-24 hang glider while also producing a landing gear and motor propulsion kit as supplemental upgrades. The way the Honcho and Nomad came into existence was that they wanted Volmer to adopt their suggested improvements in design and Volmer refused. So DSK company said screw you and we are dropping the Volmer kits and will begin to sell our own Nomad and Honcho designs. Rod Gage was the owner of DSK at the time. The VJ-24 design is most apparent in the tail feathers of the Nomad and Honcho as they seem identical in design. Rod's idea was to sell the wings in volumes to other ultralight companies since he had spent heavily to create the factory tooling. I have some of DSK's marketing literature from before and after they parted ways with Volmer. One of the early propulsion systems for the VJ-24 involved a vertical shaft lawn mower 4 cycle engine driving two counter rotating props via belts much like the Wright Bros. layout.
Most of this info I agree with. This is how I remember it, but at 85 I could be wrong!
Norm and Jim Maupin were founders of DSK (Duster Sailplane Kits). The above were NOT original designers of the Duster. Orignal designer was Ben Jansson

Gregory Perkins