Maxair Drifter Landing Gear

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Goflybefree

Hello,

I am looking for some info on the Maxair Drifter ....

Does anyone know what size 4130N tube is used in the main landing gear ? Dia and wall thickness.

Is it just a single tube or does it have a sleeve ?

Also, any idea of what strength it is heat treated to ? Rockwell C #

Was the landing gear the same in the original DR277 Part 103 model and the later Rotax 503 powered two seaters ?

rotax618

The legs are 1 1/4” x 0.120”wt. the heavier 2 seaters had a short 1” x 0.064” sleeve inserted in the top of the legs, extending just past where the legs exit the pans. - they are heat treated.
The Boorabee used the same legs a Drifter, only they were a little shorter.
4E456249-89DA-41C7-A6D8-46B11E27FE7E.jpeg

Last edited:

reo12

Hello,

I am looking for some info on the Maxair Drifter ....

Does anyone know what size 4130N tube is used in the main landing gear ? Dia and wall thickness.

Is it just a single tube or does it have a sleeve ?

Also, any idea of what strength it is heat treated to ? Rockwell C #

Was the landing gear the same in the original DR277 Part 103 model and the later Rotax 503 powered two seaters ?
My DR-277 was on floats for a while. The owner lost the original gear legs while it was on floats. When I bought the plane, I was told the gear legs he bought from Lockwood were heavier duty than the original legs. I'm trying to recall for certain but think they had to change the axle assemblies in order to make the new legs work. I've tried calling the gent that I got the plane from - Lewis Lux - but none of the phone numbers I have work anymore.
I'm making a list of things to ask Roy Pinner when I call. I've added this one. If folks have some questions - toss them out to me to ask him.

Last edited: