• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Matty's Marvelous Modular Monstrosity

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foundationer

I've not thought of a name for this thing yet so it's either MMMM or Iteration 9. I'm starting a sort of build log here because I've actually started building the thing and the bit I built first has just passed its first test so Iive run out of excuses for asking dumb questions and not showing any progress.

300kg
+6-3g
18knot stall
EDIT: 18m/s or 35 knot Stall - thanks to BoKu and Pictsidhe for pointing that one out...
80knot cruise
Electric(!)
100kg batteries
8.2m^2 wing area
230km range (no reserves or anything like that!)

This is an old render, gives you a rough idea.
NEW FUS iteration 7.4 render-17.JPG

So here's the horizontal tail. Load test to limit with no cracks or creaks or delams, my very inaccurate deflection measurements say 21mm versus 18mm (or under) expected. Each brick weighs on average 2.4Kg.

HT construction is 600mm wide blocks of foam CNC hotwired, butt joined with epoxy/micro, carbon shear web running chordwise between the blocks at the centre to transfer loads to mounting points fore and aft then the whole thing wrapped in 265gsm carbon.

Bit of background to the Modular part: All major assemblies need to be built mostly within an 8x4 footprint. I built an extension to the shed but it's not very large!

IMG_20190628_160225.jpg
IMG_20190628_160239.jpg

Last edited:
Back