Matty's Marvelous Modular Monstrosity

Discussion in 'Composites' started by Foundationer, Jun 28, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 25, 2019 #61

Foundationer

Foundationer

Foundationer

Last day of holiday and my colleagues are annoyed that I'm getting big packages delivered to work! In this case a 250m bobbin of carbon pultrision! Gonna have a bunch of stuff to get on with when I'm back!

IMG-20190725-WA0008.jpg

pictsidhe likes this.
  2. Jul 26, 2019 #62

Bank angle

Bank angle

Bank angle

What size and section did you go for?

3. Jul 26, 2019 #63

Foundationer

Foundationer

Foundationer

10mm x 1mm

Not 100% sure how I'm going to turn them into bundles and make them into a spar yet. Glue them together then incorporate them in the spar, or do it all in one operation?

4. Jul 27, 2019 #64

Foundationer

Foundationer

Foundationer

Anyone got a ballpark minimum thickness for carbon at a trailing edge so you don't slice yourself open on it and it doesn't crumple as soon as you look at it? 1mm? I'm thinking that my 2*265gsm will be really thin.

5. Jul 30, 2019 #65

Foundationer

Foundationer

Foundationer

Today I have mostly been battling Solidworks... Black is carbon / kevlar / carbon. Red is crash reinforcement: Rollover protection set into the bulkhead behind pilot (also behind pilot: 100kg of LiPo batteries(!)) cockpit rails of uni carbon, kevlar and foam and a front bulkhead. That's about as far as I've got turning it all into 3d.

All the white stuff will be non structural turtle deck / aerodynamic fairings. And then there's that huge cockpit transparency... I really should think about how to actually make that...

Attached Files:

6. Jul 31, 2019 #66

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Chopping off the last 1% of airfoil is a common rule of thumb. Neglible aero impact.

I know exactly what you mean about figuring out how to make stuff. A design is no good if you can't turn it from paper into reality.

7. Aug 3, 2019 #67

Foundationer

Foundationer

Foundationer

Two elevator halves ready for whatever the next bit of the process might be. I suspect it's trimming, joining, wrapping some more bi-ax over the join area, cutting out some bits for hinges, filling, sanding, painting, mass balancing... Basically done then! 490g each which is sort of about right. Massively overbuilt and as minimal as I could make them all at once.

Flaps follow the same construction methods and are much bigger so getting it all sorted out on the elevators first seemed like a good idea.

Attached Files:

Battler Britton and mcrae0104 like this.