• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Mating RV wings and tail section with homebuilt composite fuselage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cattflight

Folks,
While researching this idea a few weeks back I came across a HBA post asking if anyone had ever built a composite version of an RV-8. My question is similar....yet different:

What do you experts think about the idea of mating RV-7 or RV-9 wings and tail group to a homebuilt composite fuselage? Assume the longitudinal dimensions and thrust line follow the RV fuse, but instead it is built from glass or carbon over foam core. Here's why I ask: I love the performance numbers on the RVs, and the wing and tail are clearly very well built and, arguably, easier for a first-timer than a plans-built composite solution. But I am not a huge fan of the cabin ergonomics in the RV-7 or -9 (I know, blasphemy!!) and I would like to have a more reclined seating position like the Lancair Legacy - a little wider than the RV, and a more sleek, formed fuselage.

Assuming the structural and W&B items are in check - from a weight standpoint, I am guessing it would come out lighter than an RV, making room for more UL - but I am certain the build time would increase significantly due to the one-offedness of the idea. I am certain Vans would NEVER stand behind the idea from a liability and support standpoint, so I would have to call it something else, but it seems doable.

What say you?? :nervous:

Back