Quantcast

Martin Baker MB series aircraft construction

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cheeka

I have been scouring the internet for pictures of the MB series of aircrafts manufactured by Martin Baker. Does anyone happen to have pictures of the airframe, spars to be specific and the specially designed joints they used to connect the steel tubes. Also would anyone happen to have the patent numbers for them.

Mad MAC

cheeka

Thanks for the links Cheapracer & Matt, I already have those pictures. Apparently the main wing spar is supposedly made from built up steel laminations that taper towards the wing tip but they look like regular aluminum extrusions. I don't know if they used steel strips riveted together like on a typical built up spar but I would think that such a construction would be incredibly heavy.

Mad MAC I searched in both of those links but they didn't have anything about the MB. All I got was ejection seats.

Thanks a lot guys!

Autodidact

I did manage to save this photo from a website a while back (and I haven't been able to find that website again - does anyone know it?), this is of the MB1 structure and you can see that the fuselage truss is steel tubes with flattened ends and they are then bolted to the longerons. I would also like to see a better detail on this as well as the more sophisticated MB2, MB3, and MB5 structures:

Martin Baker MB1 Airframe 3.JPG

Also, what looks like a drawing from the old FLight-Global archive, also of the MB1:

1343-2.jpg

And a link to some more photos: http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft32394.htm