Mark Stull

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

maddogbrown

I joined this site after lurking for more than three years because I finally had something to say...Thank you Mark Stull for your inspiration!!!mb

Guyo

CAN DO MAN! Designer, Builder, Pilot. it is very hard to come to terms with what I have read today. My heart goes out to his family and friends. I only knew Mark from this forum. I was hoping one day he would come to Punta de Gallo and rattle my cage. RIP Mark.

guyo

pwood66889

`Tis with a heavy heart that I read of Mark Stull's passing. I had been interested in his work from the first few years of this century, and when I got to meet him at the ASC fly-in in Olney, Texas, I found him a humble and engaging fellow. I had wanted to meet with him at Sun N Fun last, but weather prevented me.
I still owe you an Ercoupe ride, Mark. Kind Winds Always.
Now pardon me, gents, but I think I need to pour myself a stiff one... :-(
Percy (very saddened) in SE Bama, USA

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Monte (aka Texas-Buzzard), check your Private Messages for a PM from me. EAA is looking to do an article as a tribute to Mark and needs more info.

Norm Langlois

I learned of this last week but I am new here .I had been conversing with Mark for the last five years Via e-mail He was most helpful and my Mentor for my project He will indeed be missed. I new he was close to testing and had a picture of the new stabilator . This was common to my project and we were discussing them. I was devistated when his friend of 25 years sent me the e-mail of the tragedy. the loss is hard to bare.

cpd

Today was a sad day for me, I logged in to facebook and there was mark's profile at the top of my suggested friends list:depressed

Chris

danmoser

.. got the sad news just now... shocking!
Mark's innovative, energetic and passionate work in ultralights will always be remembered.
I admired his hard work and can-do spirit very much.
Hopefully we will soon figure out what went wrong in his latest design to least salvage something of value from this tragic loss.. perhaps even save a life or two.
We must carry on and honor Mark's memory with our own passionate and energetic work.
Rest in peace, fellow flyer.

Mike65401

I was looking forward to visiting Mark on my next trip to Texas. Mark was an inspiration. I do have a question for the UL pilots here. I read in an article that the wind was blowing at 18mph during the time of the accident. Is it usual to fly with that kind of wind speed? I'm just puzzled by what caused an accident with such an experienced pilot.

texas-buzzard

Yes the wind was very gusty that day. down here in texas we fly with 18 mph + or we seldom fly but it surprised me that he would test a new design in that wind. there was several valid posts here as to what happened but only Mark really knows. I wished you could have met him, he was an inspriration to the love of flying.

Monte

clanon

"Not much people could choose the way of leaving"
Doing what you love the most , that's the way of leaving.
See you around Mark.

fly_boy_bc

As I opened this thread I didn't know what the exact words were going to be, but I knew what it was going to say. I paused for a moment hoping that I was wrong.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him in person, but I had been impressed by his spirit, enthusiasm, and professionalism long before joining this group. He was truly one of those rare people that made aviation better for all of us due to his passion. I'm pretty sure he had that effect on non aviation people that his life touched as well.

He is missed.
All I can do is echo the thought...I did not know him I never even corresponded with him (as far as I can remember) but when I saw he was gone I was stunned and deeply saddened. His love of aviation and desire to help us all out with his experience and knowledge is obvious.

We will miss you Mark.:depressed

My last word

When everybody was cheering Marks planes designing and building I was the only one trying to warn him about the things he was doing wrong only to be accused of being the bad guy again,in this thread
https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/light-stuff-area/4903-new-design-3.html
With responses like this
https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/light-stuff-area/4903-new-design-3.html#post38102
I was even threatened to be kicked out of the board if I say any more in the private message from Jake. I saved it because I knew where this whole thing was going, I'm posting it in full below.
Now Mark is dead.

PM deleted by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well George, the design you were criticizing then was not the one that killed him...

-Dana

Earthlings: Send more probes. The last one was delicious!