Mark Stull

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by texas-buzzard, Nov 17, 2011.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 18, 2011 #21

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

Canterbury, New Zealand, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.
    I don't really know what to say, words fail me.. I will say that Mark has been such an inspiration here with his willingness to design something completely different to the accepted norm. I too will miss his build threads and experimentation. Rest in Peace.

Shannon

2. Nov 18, 2011 #22

Autodidact

Autodidact

Autodidact

I finally opened this thread and am just stunned to hear this.

3. Nov 18, 2011 #23

inventing_man

inventing_man

inventing_man

Woa . I'm in the same cockpit fellas . ...That big empty feeling we all dread .
    I never met you personaly Mark , But somehow your typed words put you across the table from me .. Thank you for your insights , cautions and inventive spirit .
    You have wings now that will never falter . Fly Close formation with your family and us .

4. Nov 18, 2011 #24

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

Devastating news. He truly was one of a kind and will be sorely missed. I wish I had half his energy and a quarter of his ingenuity. I particularly admired him for the way he never stopped pushing forward in his experiments. It's a very sad day.

I'd like to send his family something. If anyone knows a way to contact them, please PM me with the details.

5. Nov 18, 2011 #25

ultralajt

ultralajt

ultralajt

I am really, really sad............
    Rest in peace, Mark!

Mitja

6. Nov 18, 2011 #26

cpd

cpd

cpd

I am still in disbelief that Mark is gone, I knew he was getting ready to test his latest design and I had been checking the forum almost daily awaiting a flight report. when I saw the title of this thread I knew the news was not going to be good.
    I followed all his post here on HBA for the last several years and always emjoyed looking at his expirements and picking up bits of useful information along the way. The ultralight world has lost a great designer and pilot, there just arent many people like Mark left in the world.
    rest in peace Mark, cavu skies and calm winds.

Chris

7. Nov 18, 2011 #27

Voyeurger

Voyeurger

Voyeurger

It breaks my heart. A pioneer and friend to all. ****. Jake, I'm with you. I'd like to show his family how much he was admired here.

8. Nov 18, 2011 #28

texas-buzzard

texas-buzzard

texas-buzzard

I was out at his hanger 2 wks. ago and he was waiting for the wing to come in. he was so excited to finish it and get in the air, but he was always excited and full of energy. he always welcomed challanges as opportunities. man i wish i had that gift in my life.

9. Nov 18, 2011 #29

texas-buzzard

texas-buzzard

texas-buzzard

10. Nov 19, 2011 #30

craig saxon

craig saxon

craig saxon

There is nothing to say that hasn't been said already, Mark you were an inspiration to all and your enthusiasm and 'can do' attitude will be sorely missed by all who knew you whether personally or by reading these pages. Maybe we could organize an annual prize in memory of Mark for the most innovative member of this board. God speed.
    Craig

11. Nov 19, 2011 #31

skier

skier

skier

I have to admit I wasn't expecting to hear something like this when I popped onto the forum last night. This is really sad to hear. He was one of the few people on here that actually got to build a few of his own designs. It's really sad to hear we won't be seeing anymore of his ideas.

12. Nov 19, 2011 #32

Jman

Jman

Jman

Site Developer

13. Nov 19, 2011 #33

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator

I'll miss our discussions of aircraft design, both here and offline. I wish he'd had a chance to discuss the new design he met his end in, so different from his previous approach... I'd love to know what he was thinking.

-Dana

The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive. - RAH

14. Nov 19, 2011 #34

Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo

We should remember him by preserving his ring tail. It says things about the man that words cannot articulate.

15. Nov 19, 2011 #35

Skyrod

Skyrod

Skyrod

I have been a long time admire as everyone else of Marks Innovation and Passion. So I made this design to help remind us of the dedication it takes to persevere through life's ups and downs to realize our dreams... to design and fly our ideas.

I created this design last night and uploaded it to my dropbox.

The design however is free to anyone. They just need to take it to a sign cutter and they'll
    do the rest. Follow the link below for the file.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47357095/MStull.ai

MStull.jpg

16. Nov 19, 2011 #36

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

That PM article confirmed my fear that Mark was a risk taker and had an above average chance of being injured or worse.
    He was also passionate about being FAR103 legal. And that meant no allowance for protective structure or more reliable engines.

I keep thinking that the rules prevented him (and others)from building safer and heavier designs.
    BB

17. Nov 19, 2011 #37

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

I only just stumbled across the news yesterday. Yes, it is shocking when this kind of thing happens, even though we know the risks are always there. In this internet age we seem to get to know people well whom we never met and it's no less disturbing to hear about his crash than if it had been one of the guys here at my local airport.

Mark had to be one of the most prolific builders of airplanes anywhere, and I am sure he was fully aware of the risks. In the light of what happened, I think everyone has been very careful not to put forth any criticisms of his designs, but some of them made me very, very uncomfortable. It may be that this crash had nothing to do with the design itself and we may never find out, since the NTSB generally does not deal with Part 103 airplanes. But it's a reminder to approach any new design with extreme caution, from concept to test flights, no matter how often you have done it before.

18. Nov 19, 2011 #38

texas-buzzard

texas-buzzard

texas-buzzard

Several weeks ago Mark donated his ring-tail U/L to the owner of Cloud Country airpark in Grape Creek, Tx.

19. Nov 20, 2011 #39

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator

BBerson, I think it's less that Mark was a risk taker (which to me means somebody who takes unnecessary risks), than that he was simply realistic about the risks.

Re the ring tail, it was unique and visually different, but it was not his favorite design nor his best performing, perhaps not how he'd want to be remembered. My picture of him is in that way reclined, awkward looking (but according to him, comfortable) seating position in his long winged plane, which he always said was the best flying of the bunch.

-Dana

20. Nov 20, 2011 #40

conestogaman

conestogaman

conestogaman

It breaks my heart. I enjoyed reading his posts. Godspeed Mark.